My Diy 88 Gal Tank And Stand

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fI$H_FaCe

Reaction score
well guys here is my tank me and old man built a couple of weeks ago....it measures 54"L x 22"H x 18"W, i think it works out to about 88 US Galllons (may be mistaken , but close anyway , haha). i think for me it will be a useful amount of about 80 Gallons to where i will be filling it up....don't mind the fact that the tank still has some spots on it that need to be cleaned up (i will be covering the direct seam with a black corner peice for a more finished look), i still have time while i wait for my Filter to come in

the tank stand is also home made by the 2 of us, we used 2x4 's to make a nice sturdy frame then we went ahead and finished it off with some tongue and grove pine boards and then finished it with a nicely tinted varathane.

sorry for no in progress shots....my cam was at my GF's for the past few weeks (using it for some Art project, hehe) and i only just got it from her tonight so i could get some pics of my car and the new tank and stand...

well any comments feel free to let me hear em, it's my first time doing anything liek this (as i am sure you can tell) and i am no carpenter, so leave the amatuer work comments out please, LOL, JK

Picture017.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture015.jpg

:alien: Hiya JK,
Excellentamondo stand . Color me envious here .... lol

I need to make a stand for a 55 g .

My 30+ year old (real) wrought iron stand just doesn't fit in the decor anymore.

I need to study your pics some more to figure out how you framed it .

Thanks so much for sharing,:thumbs:

S.

thanks a lot guys for the comments.....

as for building the stand, i kind of made 2 "ladders", one for the top, one ofr the bottom......then i made some legs ( 8 ) of them and attached to the bottom ladder, then i simply placed the other ladder on top of the legs to fit firmly on the shorter peice of 2 x 4 on the legs...... here is a little pic i just did to sort of give you the picture anyway.....hope it helps, hahaha
it all took about 2 weeks i guess, only doing work on the weekends....wasn't hard at all, just needed to be creative in making the stand, i think i did ok, it is very sturdy!!!...and not too bad looking either

sdfgdfg.jpg

having a little trouble interpreting the diagram on the top right...

is that a "leg" or is that a side view of a square surface placed over the surface area of the "bottom ladder"?

(sorry if my question has confused u, cos it confused me for a while hahaha)

I think that is a leg the shorter bit points out the way and sits on e the bottom ladder and has the top one on well the top :hyper:

yes that is correct........^^^

in pic #2 (top right) it is a side view of the legs i designed to be used.......so in pic#3 (bottom left) the pic is a side view of the bottom ladder with the 2 end legs attached to it

i know i know.....pretty crappy "pic" i did there, hahaha

thanks.... i was thinking of adding a crown moulding on the top and bottom of the stand (at the very top and where it touches the floor) but i think i will wait until my DIY hood is complete because i might put the moulding on the bottom of the stand and on the top of the hood for a nice flared look, we'll have to see...

How much did a project like this cost you, It looks great. I'd be intrested in giving this a shot.

Most reactions

Back