My discus not eating...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Can anyone tell if he look skinny or not, he doest eat for about 3 days now last month he also not eating. He never eat when Im near the tank only eat when I turn the light of sometimes.

Attachments

• 282D6A50-374E-453E-B0C3-102106A804A9.jpeg
    282D6A50-374E-453E-B0C3-102106A804A9.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 81
  • D2B745C5-D2CA-43CD-915F-F7C37C3A29EA.jpeg
    D2B745C5-D2CA-43CD-915F-F7C37C3A29EA.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 81
  • F0F9D615-21B6-4C30-851B-95E36D058234.jpeg
    F0F9D615-21B6-4C30-851B-95E36D058234.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 74
The little brown discus is in terrible condition. It is skinny and sunken in around the head, and has damaged fins and tail.

It is probably being picked on by the bigger discus in the tank.

-------------------
I would move it into a different tank and see if that helps. Keep the water warm (28-30C). It's probably close to that anyway considering where you live.

Deworm the discus and treat them for gill flukes just to make sure it isn't carrying any parasites.

Feed it 3-5 times a day for a couple of weeks to help it build up some strength.

Might have something to do with being kept with Angel fish like i said earlier. Angelfish will out compete discus for food and its obvious this one is missing out.
Discus are shy slow picky eaters and angels are more boisterous and will stress out discus. Remove the angels from the discus tank and replace the angels with dither fish, like rummy nose or cardinals. Dither fish help discus feel safe. The discus in the pic doesnt feel safe

Im gonna guess the Angel fish are doing the bullying not another discus
The thing is my angelfish is all female and not doin anything either, this discus just scare of everything, last time he scared of people walking and then scared of filter noises...

The thing is my angelfish is all female and not doin anything either, this discus just scare of everything, last time he scared of people walking and then scared of filter noises...
Has nothing to do with whether or not the Angels are Male or Female. Angels are more active feeders than discus and will outcompete discus for food. Discus are naturally shy fish and slow picky eaters stop blaming the fish for being bullied and get rid of the bullies which are the angels. This Discus is obviously stressed and the lowest fish in the pecking order in your tank. Removing the angels will give the Discus more of a chance. Replacing the angels with dither fish will also help the discus feel safe and the discus when feeling safe will not be as shy and stressed and will show better colors and eat.

in my experience angelfish don't bully discus and it's the bigger discus that are causing the problem. Irrelevant of that, the small discus does need to be moved before it dies.

in my experience angelfish don't bully discus and it's the bigger discus that are causing the problem. Irrelevant of that, the small discus does need to be moved before it dies.
Its not a matter of bullying, its a matter of competition for food. Angels will out compete discus for food discus are more assertive feeders, discus are notoriously shy passive slow feeders and picky. This discus obviously is being out competed for food, most likely by the angels. Regardless removing the discus to a tank where he can get food would be ideal, and when returned to the tank if angels still in same tank the issue will persist.

Even if it is a competition for food, the angle fish still won’t try to push the discus aside. It would be like you trying to push a bodybuilder or a Navy Seal out of the lunch line at school. It wouldn’t end so well...

Even if it is a competition for food, the angle fish still won’t try to push the discus aside. It would be like you trying to push a bodybuilder or a Navy Seal out of the lunch line at school. It wouldn’t end so well...
A very timid shy navy seal that lacks assertive action. Angels feed faster and Discus are notoriously passive fish, shy skittish and slow picky eaters. Its not a matter of size and girth, its a matter of temperament. Discus by nature have a shy passive temperament and the one in question seems to be especially shy. Removing the angels and adding dither fish will help the discus feel safer, keeping the discus in question alone while giving him a chance to eat without a shoal it will continue to be insecure, without dither fish continue to feel insecure. The presence of dither fish signal to the discus the lack of predators. If the angels are removed and dither fish added and this discus is still struggling then the issue may be the other dicus but until the more logical problem being the angels are removed one wont know and if the discus is removed and put back at a later time in the same environment the same problems will arise. Occams razor.the simplest solution is usually the correct solution.

Good point. I do agree that Discus are shy and angles are determined. What do you suggest? Try to feed them in opposing corners of the tank?

I got this from Fishkeepingworld.com:

Discus can often be shy, but this can be helped by surrounding them with a couple of other fish (known as dither fish) that show them they are not in danger. Fish that come from the same warm Amazon waters are a great place to start, and shoaling Tetras can look amazing.”

Pretty much what you said. ;)

I got this from Fishkeepingworld.com:

Discus can often be shy, but this can be helped by surrounding them with a couple of other fish (known as dither fish) that show them they are not in danger. Fish that come from the same warm Amazon waters are a great place to start, and shoaling Tetras can look amazing.”

Pretty much what you said. ;)
Yup most prople will use rummy nose tetras or cardinals because they can handle the higher temperatures that discus require 82-85 degrees.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back