My cycling update thread...

Yes it is good. The bacteria need inorganic carbon (ie KH) to grow and it's more than high enough to stop the pH crashing.

Yes it is good. The bacteria need inorganic carbon (ie KH) to grow and it's more than high enough to stop the pH crashing.
Ok so the fish wont die whew... Thank you for saving my brain from the rabbit hole I was in!

Evening test results: Amm: 0ppm
Nitrites: 55ppm+ (havent tested nitrates)
1029211914.jpg

Your cycling is proceeding nicely. Keep following the guide and you will get there in a few weeks or less.

Your cycling is proceeding nicely. Keep following the guide and you will get there in a few weeks or less.
Im hoping it'll end on the 10th of Nov. But it probably will be later

Just did the nitrate test and its over 160ppm+... This is probably normal during a cycle though
1029212100.jpg

@xxBarneyxx I'm thinking of ordering up the plants tomorrow (arrives in under 4 days) do you think that its safe now for the plants? The bacteria eats up the ammonia very fast now and the plants can still have some (it may help the nitrites to lower quicker as well) wdyt?

High nitrates means your nitrite eating bacteria are growing well now…you’re progressing well with your cycling

High nitrates means your nitrite eating bacteria are growing well now…you’re progressing well with your cycling
Thank you! Do you think my tank is ready for plants now?

I think I would hold off on plants for now. Near the end you will be dosing a full dose of ammonia to prove you’re cycled.

Last edited:
I think I would hold off on plants for new. Near the end you will be dosing a full dose of ammonia to prove you’re cycled.
Ok so wait till the nitrites start dropping a lot and ammonia is at zero for good. So basically when the cycles over I add the plants... Not to question or disagree with your years and years of knowledge but, the nitrites have been knocking down the ammonia in a day, 3ppm all the way down to 0.25 at the end of the day and then its 0ppm in the morning. I would think that if I add plants the floater will take care of that 0.25 for me and the other plants will be getting acclimated as the cycle finishes...

As per, you assume, quite wrongly, that plants have to be planted in substrate to facilitate cycling. They don't.
But they do, name 5 plants that dont float but dont go in the substrate and grow fast.

Most reactions

Back