Video My community tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DeanoL83

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
(Link at end of post)

Hi everyone, first video I've posted in a long time.... Just a quick look at my community tank. It needs a little bit of a clean up and some of the plants need a trim but here it is.

I'm trying to locate done water sprite to float on the top for my sparkling gouramis but haven't had luck so in the meantime I just have some wisteria floating.

I have just bought 3 ottos so they are working away at some of the algae in the tank and having a great time.

I have a few questions about potential stocking....

I'm thinking of some fish that would be top dwellers..... hatchets, pencil fish, killies, glass bloodfin tetras etc. Any suggestions on which might work best?

My LFS has indian glass fish in at the moment and cheap, always liked those, would they work in this tank?

And what about some blue or gold rams? Again can find them fairly cheap at the moment. But I do have cories and a few tetras that already hang around the bottom - cardinals, pristella, glowlight.

Anyhow, any other comments or suggestions is more than welcome.

Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I've been considering a pair of either rams, kribs or apistos for the tank. Would be cool to watch a pair breed and hopefully get some fry. Any suggestions on which would be best? Read that kribs can be quite aggressive even to the cories while breeding but they are easy to look after

(Link at end of post)

Hi everyone, first video I've posted in a long time.... Just a quick look at my community tank. It needs a little bit of a clean up and some of the plants need a trim but here it is.

I'm trying to locate done water sprite to float on the top for my sparkling gouramis but haven't had luck so in the meantime I just have some wisteria floating.

I have just bought 3 ottos so they are working away at some of the algae in the tank and having a great time.

I have a few questions about potential stocking....

I'm thinking of some fish that would be top dwellers..... hatchets, pencil fish, killies, glass bloodfin tetras etc. Any suggestions on which might work best?

My LFS has indian glass fish in at the moment and cheap, always liked those, would they work in this tank?

And what about some blue or gold rams? Again can find them fairly cheap at the moment. But I do have cories and a few tetras that already hang around the bottom - cardinals, pristella, glowlight.

Anyhow, any other comments or suggestions is more than welcome.

Thanks!!

Beautiful tank and I love your assortment of fish.

Nice tank!

Actually it's not advisable to keep a pair of breeding fish in a community tank.
Most Cichlids (Ram, Apistogramma, Krib, etc.) will become very aggressive during spawning.
A breeding tank is not a community tank.
Also, the Tetras and Cory will eat their eggs or their young ones.

Secondly, the Angel fish can/may eat your smaller fish when they grow larger.
In the wild, the Angel fish will eat Neon Tetras.

Kribs are not suitable for community tank from my experience.
Rams and Apistogrammas (the less aggressive species) are ok for your tank.

Apistogramma Cacatuoides is good as it's less aggressive and has beautiful fins.
You can consider the Cacatuoides Super Red and Orange Flash.
These two are impressive.

If I were you, I will only consider the male Apistogrammas as they are more beautiful. The female are dull.
You can get 2-3 or 3-4 of the male depending the size of your tank.
Some people suggested giving each male 1 square foot of area.
Also, choose only the younger male( about 1- 1.5" size) as older male may not eat dry food.
They may only eat live food as most farms will feed them with live food for them to breed.

In my opinion, you should increase the number of your schooling fish instead of adding on the top level fish.
When the fish is in a bigger number, they will look more impressive.
You can increase the number of one of your schooling fish to at least ten - Cardinal or Glowlight or Rummynose Tetra.
For your info, Rummynose Tetras are very tight schooling fish which they look great when they move together.

But if you still prefer top level fish, you can consider:
1)Gouramis - which you already have (Sparkling Gourami).
Even though Gourami can stay at top, they will also move all over the tank.

2)Killifish.
Avoid the Golden Killifish or the Panchax species which will eat smaller fish like Neon or Glowlight when they grow bigger.

Also, avoid the annual species (example : Nothobranchius) which don't live long.

You can consider these two species (non annual) :
1) Lyretail Killifish
2) Pearl Killifish
These two are ok as they don't grow large.

I think Hatchet fish and Glass fish are vulnerable to more aggressive fish like the Angel as they are slow mover and not suitable.

Thanks @Lajos_Detari for your reply I really appreciate you taking the time to comment.

I do like the look of the apistos so will look around my LFS to see what's available. I realise that a lot of the eggs and the fry could be eaten in a community tank which is fine as I don't need heaps of babies but have always been fascinated by watching fry grow but my only experience so far has been with livebearers. I've read many conflicting reports about having one breeding pair in a community tank. I have plenty of caves and hiding spots so that should help with aggression. Out of the three, which is generally least aggressive?

The only hesitation I have with increasing the schools is that a lot of them are already low or bottom third dwellers so thought it would get too crowded if I build up the schools so that's why I was thinking of a top or surface dweller. The last time I had glass bloodfin tetras they stayed at the top which is why I suggested them. And they are cheaper than hatchets. Also I don't have lids so thought the tetras were less likely to jump than hatchets or killies.

I could potentially relocate the angel fish as well if that was to open up more options with stocking.

I really do appreciate your detailed comment so thankyou again

You are right. Actually your tank is very crowded now. Lol

Out of the three, which is generally least aggressive?

Which three are you referring to?
Did you mean the Ram, Apistogramma and Kribs?

You are right. Actually your tank is very crowded now. Lol

Which three are you referring to?
Did you mean the Ram, Apistogramma and Kribs?
Yes sorry I probably should have been more specific. You are right I did mean out of ram, apistos and kribs

I think fish can be unpredictable as each one has different personalities.
Some people have success even in keeping Angel fish with smaller fish even though most Angel fish will kill the smaller fish.

Kribs is definitely the most aggressive.

But it's hard to compare the aggressiveness between Rams and Cacatuoides during spawning.

Here is a forum that focus on Apistogramma:

https://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/cacatuoides-agassizii-or-macmasteri.21450/

Thanks @Lajos_DetariI do like the look of the apistos so will look around my LFS to see what's available. I realise that a lot of the eggs and the fry could be eaten in a community tank which is fine as I don't need heaps of babies but have always been fascinated by watching fry grow but my only experience so far has been with livebearers. I've read many conflicting reports about having one breeding pair in a community tank. I have plenty of caves and hiding spots so that should help with aggression. Out of the three, which is generally least aggressive?

Its worth pointing out that its not just that the eggs/fry can be eaten, its more that the breeding pair will take over a section of your tank and defend their young fiercely. My 4ft tank effectively had a no-go zone for all the fish bar the breeding pair of Kribs and once they hatch and then swim around, the parents continue to patrol near them, chasing off any other fish that comes near.

Looking at your video, I can't quite tell the size of the tank but it does look smaller than mine so you need to take into account the other inhabitants of the tank.

I'm not saying you can't do it but be careful.

I think fish can be unpredictable as each one has different personalities.
Some people have success even in keeping Angel fish with smaller fish even though most Angel fish will kill the smaller fish.

Kribs is definitely the most aggressive.

But it's hard to compare the aggressiveness between Rams and Cacatuoides during spawning.
/

I would say Apistogramma and Kribs are fairly similar in temperament so you'll get something similar. Never kept Rams but they seem a bit more delicate as fish from what I can make out.

Looking at your video, I can't quite tell the size of the tank but it does look smaller than mine so you need to take into account the other inhabitants of the tank.

I'm not saying you can't do it but be careful.

I would say Apistogramma and Kribs are fairly similar in temperament so you'll get something similar. Never kept Rams but they seem a bit more delicate as fish from what I can make out.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. It's a 4 foot tank. Have got a few caves and logs that the pair could use too.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. It's a 4 foot tank. Have got a few caves and logs that the pair could use too.

Keeping Kribs or Apistogrammas is very rewarding and its great to see them successfully breed. Sounds like your tank is potentially wide enough. They'll take over an area of a foot to 18 inches square of the bottom of your tank, chasing off any fish that get too close. As long as you're ok with that and accept that your other fish will be pushed to one side, then the rewards of a successfully breeding are there for you :)

Hi Deano,

Here is a forum discussing about apistogramma.
Someone is asking about breeding Apistogramma.

https://www.apistogramma.com/forum/...campaign=ed1375&utm_content=iss55#post-108768

There are many species of Apistogramma.
Some are less aggressive but some are very aggressive.
Borelli is the most peaceful and smaller in size.

But I heard that Cacatuoides is the easiest to breed.
You might want to try this species.

Kribs is also easy to breed but it's definitely more aggressive than Borelli, Macmasteri and Cacatuoides.

I don't breed Apistogramma but I like to keep the adult males which are very beautiful.

You should definitely enter the contest which is taking entrants till Sunday at 2:30 pm EST

Thanks everyone for the advice and nice comments about my tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back