My Betta Fishes Fins Are Disappearing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sillymisslucky

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My betta fish neptunes fins have slowly been disappearing. After trolling the internet for a diagnosis I am um unsure as to what it is. Does anyone know? I have attached a before and after picture. The before was taken in January and the after just this week.

I have used aquarium salt for about 2 months and it still gets worse. He has a filter in his tank and natural plants and stones with no sharp edges and a heater heats the tank at a constant temp of 25oC.

Other than the fin problem he eats and swims as normal.

Just so you know there isn't any pictures to look at. At least I mean I don't see any. Since there aren't any pics can you describe how the fins are disappearing (and/or repost the pictures)??? If there is nothing for him to tear his fins on, my guess is that it could be fin rot but without proper description or a picture I don't want to say that's the definite answer, you know?
Also, what are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and such)?

I agree.
We need more info on tank size.
Stocking.
Decor and plants.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Do the fins have a pink, red, or black edging?
Any any holes in the fins?
Do the fins have excess slime?
Any red streaking in the fins?

If you been struggling with finrot for 2 months you need to switch to bacterial medication.
Salt does help with won't cure bacterial finrot..

I currently have a 10 L fluval spec with just the one betta fish, aquarium gravel and one live plant. The filter is on all the time at the temperature is maintained at 25 oC with my heater.

pH is at around 7 and I have no water parameter test strips I will purchase some and test them ASAP.

Pictures of my betta to follow
I have as of today cleared the tank of the salt and have started treatment with a fin rot and fungus treatment.

As you can see. From January till the end of may there has been a dramatic change. Will he ever get better?

I feed my betta 'tetra Betta shrimps and krill' premium flakes . about 5 per day. I'm not sure if this is too much or too little. The flakes are small only about 1mm across

Attachments

• when i got neptune in january.jpg
    when i got neptune in january.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 420
  • neptune end of may.jpg
    neptune end of may.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 437
  • ill neptune end of may.jpg
    ill neptune end of may.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 415
Also I change the water every week at least 50% and at least one 100% water change every month. The water is conditioned using a treatment every time I do a water change. I have a gravel cleaner which sucks the waste from the bottom.
The 2 pictures of him I'll were taken in the same week. It did rapidly get worse. He has been slowly getting worse since I bought him but dramatically worse recently. It is so sad it makes me feel so bad because I am harming him.

Hi!

December last year my poor hamster Leroy died at 3 years of age! So in January I decided to get a fish tank. I ended up with the most beautiful betta fish and named him Neptune. I had never had a betta in my life before.

Since I got him he has gradually been loosing his fins and it is very upsetting. On my profile there is a post from me which has details and pictures. If anyone can help me I would be eternally grateful!

Love Sarah

I keep my Betta's water temperature at 80-82 degrees F.  Can you adjust the temperature up a bit?

Bump up the temp to about 26-27c if you haven't already.

http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/fin-rot-and-fin-loss/
^A fairly informative page. Are any of the stress-inducing causes relevant?

I'm not sure if a 100% water change is really necessary that much. I hardly ever do a 75% water change all at once. I'm afraid the drastic change will stress my fish.

From what you have said I wouldn't say you are harming him. But he does look like a bad case if finrot. Bless. With treatment he should get better. I would usually recommend daily water changes, but not sure if that's viable when dosing medications. Good luck

In addition to upping the temperature, I suggest treating him with a broad spectrum antibiotic.

It seems like you have a serious tail biter there, even if you haven't seen him do it to himself he probably is, they often do it when no one is watching, I have had a few in my time and one would hide in his coconut cave and spin round many times and rip his tail to shreds, it's difficult to pin point the reasons sometimes it's stress sometimes it's boredom it usually afflicts halfmoons and crowntails as the longer the fins the worse it is. I agree you may be changing too much water in one go I never clean mine more then once a week at 25% each time, also bump the temp up to 78-80 this is where they are the most comfortable, make sure he doesn't have any hides to shred himself in although he will probably find some other way of doing it, it often becomes a habit that is difficult to break.
Because of the extent of the damage I would be worried about an infection taking hold, it may be worth starting him on some Esha 2000 medication, I would hold up on the salt as bettas don't tolerate it very well, almond leaves are good as they have a calming affect and are antibacterial too.

I have been medicating him with a king british fin rot and fungus control medication for 2 days now how long should I use the Medication for ? On the bottle it says every 24 hours until the problem persists but I don't know what to look for if the problem is gone if not.

Purchased some interpet anti fungus and fin rot which has very good reviews, not sure if I should do a 100% water change before I start the new treatment as I have already got a treatment in the tank already?

Most reactions

trending

Back