My Betta died

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Kryten

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My male siamese fighter died! :-( :-(

I noticed that an orange smimy build up was collecting near the pump. It turns out that my brother used the bucket I water change my tank with to wash his car and left small amounts of car wax residue in the bucket, unknown to me. So next time I water changed I added soap to the tank :crazy: :sly:

All my other fish (15 neons and 4 platies) have kind of not been bothered at all. I have water changed twice since and no more orange buildup is appearing

What I want to know is do you think this is what killed my Betta? As the water is now fine, should it be okay to replace the little fella? :rolleyes:

Your fighting fish probably died becasue of the soap, but that is not to say for sure. What condition was your fish in before he died? Are any of your other fish affected? It is good that you changed the water but I suggest you give your tank a complete, thorough cleaning if you have not already.

The fishes colour had gone right down over a few days. Normally he was bright blue, but he started to look a bit pale and was constantly mouthing as if he was eating, though he rarely ate, not even bloodworms

All the other fish are absolutely fine. One platy was really quiet for a few days, never moving from one spot, but he is now fine. The neon tetras weren't at all bothered. I have done a few small water changes since and all tests are fine so I think it is pretty much back to normal now, just wanted to know if you all thought this was the problem so that another wouldn't die if I added one, which I will on Saturday

Kryten said:
My male siamese fighter died! :-( :-(

I noticed that an orange smimy build up was collecting near the pump. It turns out that my brother used the bucket I water change my tank with to wash his car and left small amounts of car wax residue in the bucket, unknown to me. So next time I water changed I added soap to the tank :crazy: :sly:

All my other fish (15 neons and 4 platies) have kind of not been bothered at all. I have water changed twice since and no more orange buildup is appearing

What I want to know is do you think this is what killed my Betta? As the water is now fine, should it be okay to replace the little fella? :rolleyes:
:/ Did you put them all in the same tank?

Sorry to hear about your Betta :-( ....I think your brother should be buying you a new Betta, new bucket, and do a couple tank cleanings for you, to make up for his gaff. I'm not sure, but if any of the wax made it into the bucket it's going to be tough to clean out....good luck :thumbs:

As far as I can tell now everything is fine. All fish are healthy and colourful, no more orange slime is appearing, so I am going to do one further water change then add another betta

Kry~

Hey Sorry bout your betta. :( I gotta soft spot for those guys! Just wanted to add an observation here: Its surprising that your betta died and not any of the tetras. Bettas are really pretty hardy fish, while tetras (well in my experience and some friends) are not. :/ I had a school of 15 tetras die off within 3 days for no reason that i could find, while my 2 female bettas did fine. :S Dunno, just thought Id point out that you have yourself some strong little troopers there. ;)

Sorry to hear about your betta - :-( I hate to lose a fish, makes me feel so guilty :( How old was he? They don't have a very long life span and possibly he was already quite old (in fishie years) and the strain was a bit too much for him.

He was only about ten days old, but I did notice he wasn't eating well at all. He spat out flake food and didn't get a look in with the sinking pellets as the platies and neons surrounded the food quickly

I now have a new betta in the tank and he has taken a real liking to brine shrimp so I know that if he is not eating the flake food, I can rely on the brine shrimp. He also makes a meal of blood worms so I should have more luck with this little fella.

Thanks for eveyones advice :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back