My acro is turning green!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Thanks for the reply Andrew :)
If anyone knows what may have happened to this coral then Pomme is one f the first people to ask.

I wouldnt bother to pull it out, 99% of the nutrients are held in the flesh which has already disintigrated into your tank, at this point its just a porus calcium carbonate rock, thats what LR is made from, dead corals. Maybe you could put chips of colonised LR on it to speed up the process of coraline algea growth but if you just leave it in ther (or move it to another part of the tank) it will add to your filtration

right, im gonna take a sample to the shop where STE2K3 works, get all tests done., my lighting is an arcadia series 3 pendant with 3 x 150w halides and 2 blue actnics, i will PM the bloke i got it off to find his lighting. I acclimatised by having the bag in the sump for temp and drip acclimatising with some air tubing and a clamp, with 1-2 drips a second. Also i forgot to say i have a nudibranch that has appeared lately, has been in the tank for a while as i didnt add any L.R for ages, this has been hanging around the rock the acro was on since it was put in., also on the same rock are some polyps and pulsing xenia, which are right next to each other, both seem fine and seem to be doing very well.
leon
P.S, chris hmmmm, i really thought your name was navarre, or ettiene :p :p ;)
thanks anyway pomme and navarre, really appriciate it! :clap:

P.S, chris hmmmm, i really thought your name was navarre, or ettiene

Chris is my real name :*)
Ettienne is a name i use.. err.. elsewhere ;)

Right, ive got a reply on the original lighting, they were twin 400w 10k halides (mine are 3 x 150w 14k rx-7's), im going to try and get a water test done today if i can.

GET A PICTURE OR AN ID OF THAT NUDI ASAP!!!

Your other corals could be in danger, particularly any acros in there.

I was going to say, this wasn't the micro stars or necessarily water quality even as this went fast and other corals seem fine.

But keep an eye on all sps and look long and hard at all of them for signs of more "bugs" hanging out near them.

Where did you get the coral from? What else have you added to the tank since getting it? Think hard if a nasty hitchhiker could have come in.

But it is equally possible it just STN-ed on you for reasons you will not be able to identify.

Oh... in case you don't know, you will be working long and hard to keep that xenia off of your stoneys. Believe me, it never ends.

Water results are as follows ( cheers STE2K3!)

nitrate - 20
nitrite - 0
phosphate - <0.03
calcium - 430
KH - 9.6
alk - 3.43
magnesium - 1050
S.G - 1.022

S.G is a little low, and magnesium but apart from that things seem ok, oh nitrate is higher than i like, but water changes seem to make no difference!

RE the nudibranch, the only place i can think of is some L.R i got in october (20kg), or the 20kg i got in september, it didnt appear till early this month, but now it out most days, so i'll get a decent pic asap ( where can i I.D it? ).
I got 18kg of rock on the 15th of this month from 17000ltr off of reef park, and the coral also, the rock and coral came from the same tank!, the only other thing ive added is another coral on thurs, which was called a cathedral coral, but no one seems to know this name, it looks more like a finger coral, was told it has pretty much same needs as a sarcophyton leather mushroom , it was cheapish and nice so i got it. I cannot say anything about hitch hikers, i didnt see any, nor have done since, but with all the L.R i will be lucky TO see anything :/ .
Will
Oh... in case you don't know, you will be working long and hard to keep that xenia off of your stoneys. Believe me, it never ends
is this the same for pulsing?, are you refering to the polyps or rock when you say stonies?
leon

Pulsing Xenia is considered the "Weed" of the ocean. Many beginners love it but it soon becomes a pest.. If you can make it work for you however it can be fairly profitable. I have managed to get new bulbs, corals and fish on the amount of pulsing xenia i swap at my local fish shop ;)

If you do a search in reefcentral.com or reefs.org on acropora nudibranch I am sure you will find more than you can digest.

Most reactions

Back