My 10 gallon Build Process

Tetras and shrimp are in! They are scared right now but I managed to snap a few pics. Also, this neon has been getting bigger and growing this weird lump on her belly...it kind of has a black dot in it, and she's not eating a lot more than the others...is she gravid? Or is it something sort of tumor. The two close up pics are of her.

Attachments

• IMG_20230729_175826094.jpg
    IMG_20230729_175826094.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230729_172844180.jpg
    IMG_20230729_172844180.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230729_172901509.jpg
    IMG_20230729_172901509.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230729_181658873~2.jpg
    IMG_20230729_181658873~2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 28
Tetras and shrimp are in! They are scared right now but I managed to snap a few pics. Also, this neon has been getting bigger and growing this weird lump on her belly...it kind of has a black dot in it, and she's not eating a lot more than the others...is she gravid? Or is it something sort of tumor. The two close up pics are of her.

Don't like the look of that, but not going to guess what it is. @Colin_T will likely know.

Update: The tetras are settling in well and enjoyed some daphnia. I got really busy and forgot to test the water today but I will do it tomorrow. All the shrimp have also acclimated well and no losses yet. Going to get some more tetras this week since they must feel a little insecure since there is only 5 tetras. I love how I got a piece of cholla wood JUST for the shrimp but literally only 1 shrimp has been on it lol. And he wasn't even on it, he was on the moss I attached to it!!! :S

Attachments

• IMG_20230729_181654894.jpg
    IMG_20230729_181654894.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 15
Update: The tetras are settling in well and enjoyed some daphnia. I got really busy and forgot to test the water today but I will do it tomorrow. All the shrimp have also acclimated well and no losses yet. Going to get some more tetras this week since they must feel a little insecure since there is only 5 tetras. I love how I got a piece of cholla wood JUST for the shrimp but literally only 1 shrimp has been on it lol. And he wasn't even on it, he was on the moss I attached to it!!! :S

Very good. Notice the tighter shoaling of the neons...this is a reaction to stress and numbers. Nothing to worry about as when fish go into a new environment they do this, and the numbers are going to be increased. But my point is that one sees the fish's natural reaction and this is nothing we wouldn't expect under the conditions.

Yes, in the 5 gallon, they weren't happy but since it was a smaller tank they must have felt ok with their numbers, but now they're in a bigger tank it's different. Ill probably get some more tetras Wednesday or Thursday.

Also the tetras with the weird lump, the bump turned almost clear, like a bubble. Not sure what it is but right behind it is a dark spot...

Yes, in the 5 gallon, they weren't happy but since it was a smaller tank they must have felt ok with their numbers, but now they're in a bigger tank it's different. Ill probably get some more tetras Wednesday or Thursday.

Also the tetras with the weird lump, the bump turned almost clear, like a bubble. Not sure what it is but right behind it is a dark spot...

Another six would be my decision. Eleven (or ten) is a good group, but nothing less.

Another six would be my decision. Eleven (or ten) is a good group, but nothing less.
I remember we talked about ember tetras...would they make the neons feel safe also? What is I got 7-8 embers and a few more neons...?

I remember we talked about ember tetras...would they make the neons feel safe also? What is I got 7-8 embers and a few more neons...?

You want the neons in a group of their own species first and foremost. Eleven I think wold look good here and should keep them settled. Other species do not matter in this, it is the inherent genetic need for numbers of their own to keep them "happy" and thus healthy.

No problem having Ember Tetras too. A group of 11 or 12 with these.

I realize this is a 10g tank. But frankly that is of far less importance than having the numbers of the species. Without sufficient of their own, stress begins to affect their immune system and other functions, so there is actually more of a biological impact. Characins have hormones like schreckstoff they can release when they are stressed or injured, and other fish pick these up, so it becomes worse and worse. Keep them happy and they will be healthier.

Ok, thank you. I will add 5 more neons to make 10, then will probably get 11 embers. I also saw Ruby tetras at my LFS, I know very little about them except they do well in small tanks...would they be happier in a 10 gallon or are the Embers good?

Ok, thank you. I will add 5 more neons to make 10, then will probably get 11 embers. I also saw Ruby tetras at my LFS, I know very little about them except they do well in small tanks...would they be happier in a 10 gallon or are the Embers good?

Assuming the ruby tetras are the species Axelrodia riesei, they are OK here, a group of 10. This number is mandatory so the males can do their interactive sparing without fear of injury.

Ok, I think I will stick with the embers.

Either are fine. I have never kept A. riesei, they are beauties, and would probably be my choice. But I've had H. amandae (emnbers) for many years, and they are beautiful if they are the bright orange/red form. There is a paler yellow form, not sure how it came to be, but I think it is natural from a different location in SA. Either species, perhaps not both as they are so similar, The embers will swim in the upper level more, the neons are lower level swimmers.

Update: Everyone is doing well! I'm going to get the tetras on friday. The tetra with the weird bump, it looks like it might be getting bigger but she is still schooling and eating. I hope it's not something harmful, none of the other tetras have it.

The shrimp are out more a lot than I thought they'd be too. They are always on the wood, but not the cholla wood I got for them specifically....

Attachments

• IMG_20230801_163640723~2.jpg
    IMG_20230801_163640723~2.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230801_163637619~2.jpg
    IMG_20230801_163637619~2.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 15

Most reactions

Back