My 10 Gallon Adventure

blabadie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I would like some very constructive criticism/compliments from you all!

I started up a 10 gal nano tank, that will have no coral in it at all. It's just about getting the fish I want (which will end up being about 2 fish in total). Right now there are three damsel fish in there (I've heard the complaints before, don't care to hear them again- you can cycle a tank with fish...) and over 8lbs in LR. I have a filter running, heater, 200gph powerhead w/ air attachment (thinking about putting another in there, but 200 should be enough) and an airpump.

I think every nano tank should have a goal- mine is to have two of my favorite fish. A perc. clown and a firefish goby. Of course I love to aquascape the tank and have been slowly adding pieces of rock here and there. I really feel like I'm on the right track.

Here are my stats for the tank.

Temp: a strong 78 deg.
Salinity: 1.025 (that was just after I did a water change and added more sand).
pH: between 8 and 8.4
Alk: 300
Amm: between 0 and 0.5
Nitrites: between 5 and 10
Nitrates: 40 (not good...)

So the Nitrates will go down, correct? Is there anything else except time that can help this process? I am fairly new in the whole aquarium scene, but have done my research and know the process the tank needs to go through. I'm fairly certain that this tank could be really great, but I just wanted some feedback to keep me certain, thanks!

- b/lab -

Also, is dried coral the stuff they sell that has all of those weird pokey/spikey formations?

Sounds like your off to a good start, now theres just one problem. If your going to tease us with a Journal, your going to have to provide pictures! :lol: We are pic fiends! :shifty: LOL

Anyways, what filter are you running? Most marine hobbyists these days prefer to run their tanks "el natural". Meaning no mechanical filtration from filters. Your 200gph powerhead and your LR will be providing all your filtration needs. Around 20x turnover of tank volume per hour is recommended, so your right there.

An air stone will only cause salt creep after a while, and with the turnover rate at 20x, and if you have sufficient surface agitation, your powerhead should accomplish CO2/O2 diffusion.

Your Ammonia and Nitrites should also read absolute 0 before adding any fish. Nitrates can be present, but close to 0 you can the better. My tanks consistently run at 20. They should reach 0, but its best to let the tank take its course, and dont add products. Your LR will start to work once it settles in and die-off finishes. :good:

Its good to see you have a goal too. :nod:

Is it ok to leave the filter on for awhile and then take it out once my stats level out? With the nitrate problem, could this be due to the filter? Thanks!

- b/lab -

Without sounding intimidating, here are a few thoughts:
-you need a minimum of 10-15lbs of LR
-no need for an air pump, it can act like a skimmer and cause precipatation on your water surface
-1.025 is NOT your salinity..it's your specific gravity....learn about the difference if you can; 1.025 is fine
-a nitrate of 40 is high in my books. It should come down with water changes.

SH

Here is a pic of my tank!

salt_water_by_MadCatter.jpg

or

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/48057746/

Thanks!

Just went to my LFS and bought some more bleached coral (that's what it's called!) and some LR. I'm pretty sure he gave me two lbs instead of the one lb that I paid for!! yeepee!

- b/lab -

Tank3_by_MadCatter.jpg

Is it ok to leave the filter on for awhile and then take it out once my stats level out? With the nitrate problem, could this be due to the filter? Thanks!

- b/lab -

Nothing wrong with a freebee! :p As for the filter, id remove it. OIt will only further contribute to your nitrate reading. If you've got LR and water flow, thats all you should need to complete your cycle.

YOu don't need the damsels, I know you said that you didn't care to hear about this but what are you going to do with them when you want to add your percula and goby? Just so you know your tank will cycle just fine (debatably faster) without the fish and they are likely playing a large part in your high nitrate levels. There is absolutely no reason that I can reconsile with to cycle a LR salt tank with damsels, it just sems cruel. Sorry if that seems preachy but you've got to find them a home before you can add the fish you really want or you'll have major problems both with damsel agression (they're the demons of the salt water aquarium world IMHO) and with water pollution because of all the food and fishie poo that will be in that tank.

Just a little constructive critisism like you asked for, and the rockwork looks great by the way. If you do it right you're on you're way to a beautiful tank.

SLC

you've got to find them a home before you can add the fish you really want or you'll have major problems both with damsel agression (they're the demons of the salt water aquarium world IMHO) and with water pollution because of all the food and fishie poo that will be in that tank.

I tend to agree that youll have to find another home for your damsels, before you add your clowns. Their issue is with territory, and adding them first often just increases aggression on new arrivals. But, there shouldnt be "water pollution" issues when cycling with a fish. Any food and waste should be processed via the bacteria in the LR. If there was an issue with waste after the addition of a Cycling Fish, your tank wouldnt have properly cycled, and you would need to lengthen their stay.

Given time, and the removal of your filter, the nitrate reading should drop, even with the addition of a cycling fish.

I am thinking about getting rid of the blue damsel and the sgt. major but I have to keep the humbug because of its sentimental value (it's just so freakin cute and my gf would kill me). Could this tiny fish cause a problem with a clown fish? I know it will get bigger, but so will the clown. Can a clown defend itself? What about a firefish goby? Thanks for the criticism! What do you guys think of bleached coral? I haven't heard a lot about it, especially in these forums.

- b/lab -

The humbug damsel is one of the most aggressive damsels IMO i would ditch the damsel. i had a yellow tailed damsel which is one of the less aggressive damsels and he beat the crap out of my clown :( and no the goby wont be able to defend himself, they are very peaceful fish.

If you would like to keep him, there may be a few options. You could attempt a small hospital tank. Place him in it whilst you buy both your fire fish and clown and re-arrange some rock work, and let them become acclimated to their new surroundings, then re-introduce him, he should be confused as to the rock layout, and could perhaps not be so aggressive. You could also sell the current humbug, and introduce the fish you want, then later, add a new humbug, this way the tank is already occupied. Its still hit and miss though, and regardless of order of addition, they will most likely defend their small homes, especially in such a small tank. In a bigger tank id say go for it, but a 10g, they have no where to escape. Catch Twenty2. :rolleyes:

If the Nitrites are high (5-10) and the nitrates have moved to a "safe" level (<40) then do I just need to play a waiting game for the nitrites to come down? Let's say I do get rid of all of the fish right now. Will I need to do anything differently? Or just wait it out. Can I add a cleanup crew with these kind of stats or should I wait for them to balance a bit more. I appreciate the info! (I have been doing a lot of reading, I just want an opinion).

Thanks!

- b/lab -

my oppinion (for what its worth) is to not put anything living in your tank until your levels balance out. i mean, you also still have ammonia and nitrite readings on top of your nitrate problems. i think i'd put off keeping any living thing in it and focus on your water changes for a bit and let your LR kick into gear. Once your LR gears up and is able to keep up with the stuff in your tank, then you'll be ready to roll :)

my 2c

People do use fish to cycle though, right? I mean, it has been done. Can I continue to do this without much repercussion (not counting the fish)?

- b/lab -

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back