Mutt guppies

G

Guest14017

Gotten as tiny fry off eBay in December. First time ever owning guppies They now look like this. Super cute. The boys have BIG colorful tails splotched with orange and blue. They're fun to watch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-09-18-14-24.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-09-18-14-24.png
    776.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_2021-03-09-18-14-39.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-09-18-14-39.png
    686.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot_2021-03-09-18-14-51.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-09-18-14-51.png
    742.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot_2021-03-09-18-14-12.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-09-18-14-12.png
    567.8 KB · Views: 112
Thank you everyone. Just to ask - does anybody here keep guppies in salt or brackish water? I read they do better in brackish water. I've kept them at roughly 3% salinity since I got them, which isn't brackish but still. I did read that the snails may not do well with anything considered brackish so I did go ahead and move them to the other tank that has no salt before I decided to switch them to brackish. I will be ordering a meter for them.

Here's their new tank.

Thank you everyone. Just to ask - does anybody here keep guppies in salt or brackish water? I read they do better in brackish water. I've kept them at roughly 3% salinity since I got them, which isn't brackish but still. I did read that the snails may not do well with anything considered brackish so I did go ahead and move them to the other tank that has no salt before I decided to switch them to brackish. I will be ordering a meter for them.

Here's their new tank.
There's no need to keep guppies in brackish water. Adding some salt is already fine.
Short tailed guppies are much more adjustable to brackish water than large tailed guppies.
And yes, adding some salt , doesn't make the water brackish yet. For I know that there are people that call there tank already brackish just because they've added some salt on a regular bases.

Yes they're only at 3% so that isn't brackish, as I said. I was just wondering if they'd prefer more salt. I don't add salt to ALL my freshwater tanks - only the guppies because I heard that they prefer brackish over fresh. And I know there isn't a need, just was wondering what is ideal.

I dont do anything special for my guppies, All the Guppies i have right now are fry that have been born in these water conditions, So i guess they dont know any different ?

I can keep Guppies for around 3 years in these water conditions with no problems

Brackish water isn't water with common salt (aquarium salt) added. Brackish water has marine salts added. It's part way between fresh water and sea water.

Guppies don't need brackish water, but they do need hard water.

My water is not hard either its listed as V. Soft on Utilities website but like i say i have no problems keeping them & i have had huge success breeding in my tanks many many times with average 3 year lifespan, Which also i believe is around correct from lots of sources.
Although i do know keepers who have had them 5 years but not often

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back