Mussles In A Freshwater Tank?

DrKebab

New Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2008
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey guys! I'm new to this aquarium thing, I just got done doing the fishless cycling thing after a month and now its been two months and a week ago I just put in a female and male guppy and two golden barbs. I was wondering if it's resonable to put a mussel in a freshwater tank? There's a bunch by my creek and I know they're good at filtering but has anyone ever tried it?
 
freshwater mussels can live in tanks but many starve to death over time. Also they have to be removed before you can treat the fish for any disease. Monitor them and if they split open or start to act funny remove them because they can die and pollute the water.
Under good conditions they do well and are often used in tanks with bitterlings. The bitterlings lay their eggs inside the mussel and a month later the baby fish swim out.
 
Thanks! I was thinking about putting some in because the creek by my house has plenty. Do they starve because they don't eat any manufactured foods? Or is it just because they do?
 
they are filter feeders and most tanks have really good filters. You can get invert food from any marine shop and offer them that every couple of days. Then they should be fine.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top