Mudskippers!!!!

cichlid_freak

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
:wub: I have been researching these little guys for a while now. I'm trying to figure a couple of things out. :(

1. What and how many filters should I use? I want to custom build a 3'x4' aquarium and have it about 2'-3' deep. I want to use only natural stuff, so I'm thinking of using a canister filter, which will be a first. Or a sump. I will just put an overflow box in one corner, and cut it down to size.

2. This brings me to my next problem. How do I get the water back in without disturbing the sand? I'm thinking of using a "wand" from ehiem to dispurs the water from one strong jet to about 6, but that will still move some sand. I don't really know of any rocks that I could use. I was thinking of siliconing some cobble stones around the piece and leave holes for it to "leak" out of. But I don't see too many cobble stones on the beach.

3. What substate should I use? I "want" to use mud, but I'm worried about anaerobic places forming, and leaking sulfer. I figured that sand sifters wouldn't do well in a brackish system. I thought of using crushed coral "marine sand" but am worried it might be too ruff on their noses and such. Also, I was wondering if I could use "live" sand. This would help with filtration, but with there being dry spots I'm kind of worried.

4. I was also wanting to put a few Mangroves in. I know that some marine people keep them as filtration. How much will this help my tank?

I know that it may require me being transfered to the "marine" forum, but since these little guys are definatly oddballs, I thought I would post them here.

Sounds excellent but unfortunatly i have no answers to any of your questions,one of my lfs have a brackish set up with a section of land but no mudskippers in it,sounds like this might be a question for Superman,he seems to have plenty of ideas for specialized aquarium set ups.

Thanks for making me feel so welcome cat fish crazy :) . I think that I will address that problem of returning the water too your tank without disturbing the substrate. Assuming that you want to still create water movement inside the tank, so that you don't get "dead" water areas I think that this idea will work pretty well...

I would attach a 90 degree pvc elbow to the end of the output tube of your sump. I would then put this tube (with the elbo attached) into the tank and secure it to one of the walls (probably the back wall) of the tank. I would atach it so that the elbow is about an inch or two from the substrate and aims the output water just slightly up from parrallel to your substrate ( you may have to mess with the exact angle so that you get no movement of the substrate) make sure that it isn't aimed too closely to another wall, because this would deflect some water down towards the substrate and disturb it.

Concerning the specific substrate that you should use for the mudskipper, I haven't kept one of these so I won't risk giving you bad information and recommend one substrate over the other. I hope that I helped a little, and if you come up with problems with this idea, just let us all know and I'm confident that I or someone else could definitely throw out some ideas.

The only thing I would do differently:

Use a 45 degree piece, with a channel following the path of the flow. The reason is to mainly get the flow to circulate through the entire tank, instead of shooting right at the overflow. This may be a slight diffence only due to design, but in my case, I think it is significant.

Just another question. I was wondering if I used a PVC running the length of one side with several small holes drilled in it angled slightly more than parallel to the substrate, would this work?

Oh, the main thing I was wondering on the substrate, is if it is possible to keep the mud from forming anaerobic areas. Can I use the typical sand sifters? Just a few questions.

You pvc idea would work fine, good idea! I think that you might get better water circulation with your idea.
As for keeping from getting anaerobic areas in mud, well that seems almost like a hopeless battle. I wouldn't try it unless someone can tell you how to do it from first hand experience, otherwise I would steer clear.

Most reactions

Back