MTS Warning!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I actually did find the cure for MTS a few years ago: It got to be so much work I finally tore them all down and took a break from the hobby. It was a year or two before I even started feeling the pull toward setting up a new tank. Another good remedy is to get your kid(s) into fish keeping. We currently have five tanks, but the Badgerling manages two of them; Mrs. Badger takes care of another. So I get the benefits of MTS, but only have to water changes on two tanks!

The smaller tanks aren't as much of a chore so it wasn't so hard to add them in. And I use them primarly for raising the fry that I get. All my fry are almost ready for the bigger tanks.

Except for the saltwater tank that I'm experimenting with corals. That only has snails or crabs, no fish as it's only 3 gallons.

Well, it's seven tanks albiet some are smaller. I have a 40 gallon pond in the backyard too so there's that. The pond is where I started actually.
It's not full blown MTS until you have at least 40 tanks and a swimming pool, I mean fish pond the size of a swimming pool full of fish. Even then it's borderline. When you have 100 or 200 tanks, then your stuffed.

Funny, that I actually had 40 tanks... then I got married... then 40 tanks became 10 larger tanks...

it was always my dream to have a small pond, set up a filter system, & then landscape it using scuba... then stock it with small to large predator native local fish, & get to swim with the fishes

It's not full blown MTS until you have at least 40 tanks and a swimming pool, I mean fish pond the size of a swimming pool full of fish. Even then it's borderline. When you have 100 or 200 tanks, then your stuffed.
Funny, that I actually had 40 tanks... then I got married... then 40 tanks became 10 larger tanks...

it was always my dream to have a small pond, set up a filter system, & then landscape it using scuba... then stock it with small to large predator native local fish, & get to swim with the fishes
That would be awesome! I think I"m at my limit. I setup a 10 GAL Q tank for new fish under my desk and my wife freaked a bit. I told her it's just a Q and Med tank. It's current on the shelf in the garage empty atm b/c I'm not using it. I do want a larger pond in the back eventually and plan to do that down the road.

My mum went to America for a few months to stay with family over there. I was babysitting her place and turned her pool into a rainbowfish pond for a few months. You should have seen how fast the fish grew in a 20,000 litre pond (I mean pool).

There's a guy on YouTube that turned his pool into 2 pools with a creek joining them and filled them with Rift Lake cichlids. It looks pretty good. There is a company that did it for him and they even lined the inside with rocks so it actually looks like a section of an African Rift Lake.

There's a guy on YouTube that turned his pool into 2 pools with a creek joining them and filled them with Rift Lake cichlids. It looks pretty good. There is a company that did it for him and they even lined the inside with rocks so it actually looks like a section of an African Rift Lake.
I've watched several DIY pond videos on YouTube. Some neat stuff people do!

We had a 50x30' irrigation pond out at our old place. It was about 5 1/2 feet deep in the middle. We stocked it with native minnows, goldfish, bluegills, and bass, and had a bunch of hornwort, lilies, smartweed, and other water plants that found their way in. No feeding, no filtration except a small waterfall, but fairly huge water changes once a week or so as we pulled water out to irrigate and replaced it with water from the ditch. The goldfish got HUGE, vibrantly colored, spawned like crazy. So did the bluegill and bass eventually. Raccoons, deer, great blue herons, leopard frogs, and assorted snakes were frequent visitors. But the fish were victims of of their own success. It got so overpopulated that all the fish winter-killed under the ice.

Mrs. Badger and I always wanted to make a pond up against the house, and replace one of the walls of the house with plexiglass so we could look right into the pond. It would require some serious engineering...but it sure would be fun.

Mrs. Badger and I always wanted to make a pond up against the house, and replace one of the walls of the house with plexiglass so we could look right into the pond. It would require some serious engineering...but it sure would be fun.
Do it :devil:

You don't have to replace a wall though. Just build a huge pond outside and have a big glass window to look out. Double or triple glaze the window and put a couple of lounge chairs in the room and sit out there all day.

MTS is like fishing you want to keep doing it, with both you can spend large amounts of money and time, with both your happy when you get fish (whether caught for fishing or brought for fish keeping) and the "last cast" in fishing is like the "last tank" in fish keeping, if it's is successful (or not) you end up doing 10 more casts or getting/wanting 10 more tanks.

Most reactions

Back