moving tanks

caz27

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i have just bought 2 4ft tanks 1 for my goldies and 1 for my tropical......what i was wondering was how do i go about exchanging them into there new tanks?

Caz,

How many tanks have you got at the moment..... Is it one tank being split into the two.... ? What you doing with the old tank?

i have 2 goldfish tanks so i want to put all my goldies together i have a 2ft with 8 small goldies and a 2and a half foot tank with 4 large goldies and it will make my life easier putting them all together........my tropical tank is 2 and a half foot and has
4 guppies
1 fighting fish
1 glass fish
2 angel fish
2 algae eaters

1 of my tanks my friend is having the other one my son wants to keep frogs in and the other i don't know yet i already have a hostpital tank set up so i might just put the other one in storage...

the tropical tank is easy, save as much water as you can,take out the decor plants etc, put the fish, heater (turn off the heater at least 10 minutes before you take it out of the water) and filter in a bucket (use the one you have for water changes) clean the gravel from your small tank and put it in your large one, add more if needed (making sure you wash it as well), arrange any decor, add the water you have kept, top up with warm water add dechlorinator, add the decor filter and heater, bag the fish and put them in the tank as you would if you had just bought them, make sure the temperature is the same and release them as normal.

the coldwater tank is much the same obviously without the heater.

if you have bought all new equipment for the tanks you could set up the new ones before dismantling the old ones and run the new filters in the old tanks to let them start cycling before you transfer them to the new tanks, i would also transfer the old filters to the new tanks for a couple of weeks to ease any problems which may occur.

have fun, algae eaters are quite difficult to catch I seem to remember!!! :) :nod:

thanks alot for the replys :thumbs: .....when i got my algae eaters it was a right laugh seeing the bloke trying to catch them it took him about 20 atemps :lol: i was in fits :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: go on the algae eaters

I learnt a great technique for catching plecs last week. Slowly put the net in front of them but don't try to scoop them, they will watch the net, then gently grasp them just in front of where the body slims to the tail. As a reflex to this they stiffen up and raise their fins but your fingers are out the way so that's ok. Now use the net to support their head and gently move to their new home without having to worry about your plec getting all caught up in the net......

Worked for me but maybe I was just lucky..... :)

Done my tank move took forever but well worth it.

My tropical fish look lost in there new home but are happy looking forward to getting some more

what would go with them? and how many more fish can i have? i know only buy a few at a time.

And my goldies love there new home too and all the fish are eating and are very happy :D a job well done :thumbs:

thanks,

Caz :fish: :fish:

How bout 3-4 clown loaches or a school of cories. That would liven up the bottom.

GO CORIES! :p :D B) java script:add_smilie("d:D")java script:add_smilie(":wizard:")java script:add_smilie(":music:")java script:add_smilie(":fish:")java script:add_smilie(":band:")java script:add_smilie(":drink:")java script:add_smilie(":pepsi:")java script:add_smilie("8)")java script:add_smilie(":-")

Most reactions

Back