Moving Tanks and Fry

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Aspen35

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just finished moving a 20 long, stocked with guppies and Platys. They donā€™t seem to be doing well at all. Temp is the same as before, I added an air stone because they are gasping. 10 mins ago, I had to baby fish. Now, right when I was putting the lid on, I saw two guppy fry. ??? Perhaps they were hiding in the gravel or something, I didnā€™t drain the tank 100% so I guess they were hiding somewhere. Why are the fish so stressed out from the move?
0471363D-EF95-4FEC-ACA9-3A28DDB7C91D.jpeg
FAF22588-71F9-4966-9E5C-757FFFDB67FA.jpeg

Last edited:
Where they all in the tank as you moved it? My fish are jumpy if someone bumps the counter top so I imagine all that movement would unsettle them.

I'd turn their lights off, try keep things quiet around the tank and check how they are. They might just need a bit of time to settle. Being moved to a container and back again probably stressed them a little.

I'd turn their lights off, try keep things quiet around the tank and check how they are. They might just need a bit of time to settle. Being moved to a container and back again probably stressed them a little.
Things are not improving. Some of the fish look a bit better, but most are still gasping at the top. I found one that must have passed away last night. What could be causing this?

Things are not improving. Some of the fish look a bit better, but most are still gasping at the top. I found one that must have passed away last night. What could be causing this?
That's more than just being moved stressed. Have you done a water test? Did you remember to use water conditioner when you refilled the tank? Any chance something like a cleaning solution, air freshener or anything might have contaminated the tank?

That's more than just being moved stressed. Have you done a water test? Did you remember to use water conditioner when you refilled the tank? Any chance something like a cleaning solution, air freshener or anything might have contaminated the tank?
I donā€™t think anything got into the tank, but I canā€™t be 100% sure. I used water conditioner. Iā€™ll test the water now. Should I do a water change to remove anything that may have contaminated it?

I donā€™t think anything got into the tank, but I canā€™t be 100% sure. I used water conditioner. Iā€™ll test the water now. Should I do a water change to remove anything that may have contaminated it?
I would. I'd do 75 - 80%, just in case, and save some of the old water to test it afterwards. Water change won't hurt, but might help

I'm also wondering, those fish look very stressed :(

OP, did you do the water change and test the old water for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates?

Just wondering if the dechlorinator you used is actually working? Be good to check NO3/NO2 levels in case it is cycling.

Just wondering if the dechlorinator you used is actually working? Be good to check NO3/NO2 levels in case it is cycling.
I used dechlorinator (prime) but Iā€™m on a well so I wouldnā€™t expect not adding it to cause a huge problem.
I'm also wondering, those fish look very stressed :(

OP, did you do the water change and test the old water for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates?
Yes, I did the water change and tested the water. Ammonia and nitrite at zero, nitrate 15. ( the old water)
I agree with the water change, did it help at all? I also think turning the lights down will help deal with the stress.
I just turned the lights off, I only had them on for the picture.

The strangest thing yet is that this seems to only be affecting guppies, not the Platys. This morning I found two guppies dead, so there are two left. The Platys donā€™t seem bothered, although Iā€™m sure theyā€™re stressed too. Unfortunately Iā€™m at school, and Iā€™m worried about not being able to watch them.

Most reactions

trending

Back