Moving Tank

Phage

Fish Crazy
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
363
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
US
Well I moved my tank so I had to dump most of the water out since it is quite big. I filled it most of the way with hose water and used decholrinator. Anyway, my fish are in a 12 gallon bin with old water and I was wondering if I can put the old filters in and old tank water without worrying about my tank recycling.

It's 55 gallons and has about 45 gallons of new water.
And I can't find the link someone posted about moving tanks so this I why I am asking :blush:
 
Should be fine as you have used a declorinator.

Well I moved my tank so I had to dump most of the water out since it is quite big. I filled it most of the way with hose water and used decholrinator. Anyway, my fish are in a 12 gallon bin with old water and I was wondering if I can put the old filters in and old tank water without worrying about my tank recycling.

It's 55 gallons and has about 45 gallons of new water.
And I can't find the link someone posted about moving tanks so this I why I am asking :blush:
 
Here's the topic you were looking for; http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=129060

As long as you kept your filter media wet you should have no problem. This is really no different than doing a large water change with some rearranging or other tank work, where the filter is turned off for a couple of hours.
 
yh it should be fine long has the fitler media stays in the old water so the decent bacteria does not die off it should be good
 
Yes that was the link I was looking for. I know I've read it before but couldn't remember where it was. Thanks.
I let the filter run with just a new filter pad and warmed the water to about 75F then added the old filter media before I went to bed.

I was washing new gravel for about 3 hours and it still was a little murky after I added it. That was the worst part. Moving my angels was a little challenging. I don't have a large enough net for them so I was trying to coax them into a large plastic bag.

Before. I wanted to have my desk back and have a proper stand. Mostly empty so I could move it.
PA092704.jpg


Filling it
PA092712.jpg


After a couple hours before bed
PA092719.jpg


My 20 gallon
PA092717.jpg


Question, how long should I leave the filter media in the large tank before moving it to the small tank? The large tank has 2 pads while the smaller has one so one will be left in the large.


Thanks guys :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top