Moving Platy Fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

khial

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to move the fry out of the hatchery in my main tank into their own tank...whats the best way of moving them?

Thanks

Gently lower the hatchery in to tank water and let them swim out
If the fry are in a different tank they should be ok to net them

would it be ok to just lift them out of the tank while still in the hatchery and then lower them into the new tank?

You need to keep them in with old tank water the best way to move them is to put them in a fish bag or a small plastic container float in new tank for 10- 15 minutes, and slowly add some new water to bag to Acclimatize the fish. Repeat this every few minutes for the next 10- 15 minutes or until you have the same amount of new and old water in bag or container,

The way I do it is get a food bag, put some water in from your tank and then gently scoop the fry into the bag, you could try tipping the net a little and hope they swim in incase your worried of harming them then put the bag into your tank and leave it for 15 minutes with the light off then gently tip the bag to alow the fish out :)

hi, thanks for all the replies, i eventually just netted them (couldnt find anything else that would fit in the hatchery) ...my main tank was due a water change so i just drained the water from that into the 6 gal tank for the fry with about 20% fresh water, they seem to be doing fine, had no casualties, fingers crossed, how old/big do they need to be before i introduce them to my main tank?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back