Moving from internal filter to external filter

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

boxcar

Reaction score
I had been neglecting my tank a bit as of late so I'm rejuvenating it by giving it a complete makeover, changing substrate, new hardscaping etc. I'm also switching filters as I don't like the space my internal filter takes up and I want to go for an iwagumi style set-up.
Anyway, my question is, how do I try and transition between filters. can I try and fit my sponge from my internal filter into my external (fluval 107) or will I run both concurrently until the external has enough of a bio load? Or should I re home my neons and start the cycle process again?

Move your media (sponges, ceramics, etc) from the old filter to the new, no need to cycle again...just be sure to keep the media wet (submerged) in old tank water during the process.

Depending on load, of course, you shouldn't have an issue migrating to your 107 alone. Be sure to monitor your water until you're confident your BIO filter is up to the challenge. Be prepared to change some water if need be. Please post a pic when possible.

Last edited:
15g low tech tank with a school of neon tetra.

I plan to change substrate to a combination of aquabasis plus and jbl manado and heavily plant it. I also have some Dragon stone to hardscape. I'd like a school of ember tetra to compliment the neons.

Seperately I'm also setting up a new 15g tank at the same time. It'll have the same substrate. When it's cycled its going to house a betta and some otto's. I miss keeping bettas.

I just need to order my plants and I'm good to go

Reactions: 663
I love a good project, especially when it includes aspects that I have little affinity for. Like hardscaping! ;) How long has your 107 been inline? If it's been less that 4-6 weeks, I'd try to encourage more bio-growth before depending on the 107 alone. Sure, if the media from the in-tank filter is compatible I'd slap it into the 107. If not, you can always cut foam into chunks and use it that way. Just try to keep it as wet possible during the process.

Good luck boxcar, and don't forget the pics please! :drool:

I love a good project, especially when it includes aspects that I have little affinity for. Like hardscaping! ;) How long has your 107 been inline? If it's been less that 4-6 weeks, I'd try to encourage more bio-growth before depending on the 107 alone. Sure, if the media from the in-tank filter is compatible I'd slap it into the 107. If not, you can always cut foam into chunks and use it that way. Just try to keep it as wet possible during the process.

Good luck boxcar, and don't forget the pics please! :drool:

I'm not running the 107 yet but I think theres room in one of the baskets to put my internal filter sponge.
Hopefully my substrate and plants arrive on Tuesday and I'll set everything up together then and I'll also take plenty of pics to document my progress.

I'm not running the 107 yet but I think theres room in one of the baskets to put my internal filter sponge.
Hopefully my substrate and plants arrive on Tuesday and I'll set everything up together then and I'll also take plenty of pics to document my progress.

The internal filter has been runing for a good while? If that's the case, as another poster said, try to run both filters for a month or so to help get the 107 up and running. What media in the internal can you transfer to the 107.

I'm curious what sort of substrate are you getting? Some information on your new plants and lighting would be great too.?

When i switched from a HOB filter to canister i ran both at the same time for about 1 month to give the new canister time to build up BB. Removed the HOB filter and the tank didn't skip a beat.

When i switched from a HOB filter to canister i ran both at the same time for about 1 month to give the new canister time to build up BB. Removed the HOB filter and the tank didn't skip a beat.

Exactly why I learned to run two filters all the time, JIC.

Being that fish keeping is a hobby, some people need to believe that there's one way to do things, their way. From how any filters are used to the mats you stuff them with. It can be one argument after another. If this seems weird, look up some commentary on building and using gaming PC's.

Most reactions

Back