Mountain cloud minnows..?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bdoggy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I picked up some white cloud minnows yesterday. They seemed fine yesterday and were schooling with my endlers... This morning the minnow males seemed a bit feisty. Chasing everyone around. There are 2 males and 3 females. With 4 male endlers.
However they seem to have calmed down and hanging out together again... I'm wondering if it's going to be a problem or not. I also want to add 6-7 galaxy rasporas at some point and wondering if the minnows will harass them as well...
I have a 35 gallon cube.
1 female pearl gourami
2 bamboo shrimp
4 endler live bearer males.
5 mountain cloud minnows.
Thanks,
B.

They're just sorting out who's who. Chasing is pretty normal. I imagine that an all male endler's group will annoy the white clouds sometimes too.

Assuming by Galaxy Rasbora you mean the species Danio margaritatus, it would not be advisable to add them here. They require a larger group and are best alone. More data that will clarify:

As for the other issues, a larger group of any shoaling fish is usually better for the fish, 10+ is preferable. This allows the natural inherent behaviours to play out better, reducing stress and possible issues. And keep an eye on the gourami in case the minnows decide to fin nip. Small shoaling fish that are as active as these are more prone to aggressive tendencies in small groups and with sedate fish in the tank as targets.

Assuming by Galaxy Rasbora you mean the species Danio margaritatus, it would not be advisable to add them here. They require a larger group and are best alone. More data that will clarify:

As for the other issues, a larger group of any shoaling fish is usually better for the fish, 10+ is preferable. This allows the natural inherent behaviours to play out better, reducing stress and possible issues. And keep an eye on the gourami in case the minnows decide to fin nip. Small shoaling fish that are as active as these are more prone to aggressive tendencies in small groups and with sedate fish in the tank as targets.
I've heard them referred to as either galaxy rasporas or celestial pearl danios. But ya I don't have a problem getting up to 8-10 eventually...
Thanks for the info.
B.

I've heard them referred to as either galaxy rasporas or celestial pearl danios. But ya I don't have a problem getting up to 8-10 eventually...
Thanks for the info.
B.

You may have misunderstood...the 10+ is for the white cloud minnows. For the rasbora, a group of 20+ in their own space.

You may have misunderstood...the 10+ is for the white cloud minnows. For the rasbora, a group of 20+ in their own space.
No, I get it .. I'm probably setting up a smaller tank on my desk... So that could be a home for some danios. I feel like they would be fine with the endlers though... So maybe the minnows have to go

No, I get it .. I'm probably setting up a smaller tank on my desk... So that could be a home for some danios. I feel like they would be fine with the endlers though... So maybe the minnows have to go

Danio margaritatus requires a tank with minimum base dimensions of 45cm by 30cm, with a group of 20 of this species. This was in the link provided earlier.

Danio margaritatus requires a tank with minimum base dimensions of 45cm by 30cm, with a group of 20 of this species. This was in the link provided earlier.
I read it.. aren't most 10gal 17" long?My desk is carbon fiber and steel... It takes up most of one wall in my room. As I have multiple monitors and such... So a 17" tank is not out of the question.

I read it.. aren't most 10gal 17" long?My desk is carbon fiber and steel... It takes up most of one wall in my room. As I have multiple monitors and such... So a 17" tank is not out of the question.
A 10G tank is a little over 20" in length

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back