Most Significant Colour Change

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
It is evident, that most all fish changes their colour when in breeding mode.... The most significant change, I've ever seen was when my Thicklipped Gouramies bred.... Almost unrecognisable changes that took place.

What other fish takes on a completely different colour scheme when in breeding???
 
Gouramis do change color a lot when they are breeding. I've seen a not-too-colorful platinum gouramis turn glowing shades of baby pink and blue. :D
 
Probably, in my experince, it owuld be either Kribensis ( they go from colorful to OMG, How many markers did they eat?) and Convicts. Right after and before laying eggs, the females gills will turn Bright blue, her fins will turn Yellow, and her stomach will be a fierce orange.
 
Haven't owned many fish so comment is limited but when I bought my danios the males were silver/white with blue/black stripes, when it comes to spawning the males turn a deep metallic gold and then leopard male has a line of (bright) lemon yellow to the edges of his fins - and boy can he flare LOL
 
Texas cichlids go through quite a change
Can't link the photos here but CLICK HERE to see what I mean by looking at the different pictures.
 
A lot of fish tend to change colour when breeding and it's a shame that some of them don't retain the colour!
My Apistogramma Cacatuoides female was a stunning yellow when she was breeding and my Sajica female has turned almost jet black since spawning.
When I bred Neolamprologus Multifasciatus, the females usually darkened noticeably before and after spawning. Always a great indicator for when to search for babies!
 
My rainbow cichlids go from a yellow with vertical stripes like this.
Rainbows_b_800.jpg


to an almost solid black color on the lower half of their body when breeding.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top