Most Likely A Really Dumb Question....

ladylouroll

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Messages
199
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ok here it goes when a fish site says species only for a tank does it mean...

a: penguin tetras and only penguin tetras.

b: penguing tetras and other tetras e.g. bleeding heart tetras.

i just used tetras as an example but every site makes me change my mind, which is correct???

thanks in advance.
 
I've always understood species only to mean just that one kind of fish. I've only heard of problems with penguin tetras when they are the largest fish in the tank but I haven't kept them for a while.

Also no question is a dumb question.
 
well it was more gobies and killifish i was wondering about was just using penguin tetras as an example. :)
 
A species tank would indeed be one with only that species.

For example, I will be setting up a tank with Pseudotropheus demasoni (African cichlid), but I'll also be adding some Synodontis petricola (catfish) to help clean up fry. So you can do a species tank with more than one species if that makes sense.

If not, I blame it on my cat who as I type keeps licking my fingers! :rolleyes: :lol:
 
yeah it does make sence thanks :). would it be possible to have a goby or killi tank??
 
yeah it does make sence thanks :) . would it be possible to have a goby or killi tank??

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. If you mean can you have a tank with just gobies or killis then yes, if you are wanting to know if the two can be kept together, I'm not sure try posting in the killi section, I'm sure they'd be happy to help.
 
i ment in different tanks thanks :)

Oh ok, I get ya now, of course you can set up as many tanks with 1 species as you like. In fact, I personally like seeing larger numbers of a single species (provided they get along with their own kind of course) rather than just one or two of multiple species. :good:
 
I have both species only tanks and single type tanks. My species only tanks have exactly one species in them, such as a single species of killie or a single species of goodeid. The type only might have a half dozen similar but not the same fish such as only small livebearers or only tetras. My single big community tank has a real Noah's ark in it that is composed of compatible but completely unrelated fish. That tank has South Americans represented by angels and also has Central Americans represented by the Rainbow cichlids and even has some Mexican livebearers represented by the mollies. If you are careful about how you build a community, you can keep anything from a species only tank, like my Ameca splendens tank, to the diverse community tank with no real problems.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top