Most Disappointing Fish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

You're not the first to say that about Disuc BBA.

Mine has to be Bolivian rams.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................sorry i just dropped to sleep there thinking about them.

each to their own ofc, im head over heels with my marine tank now though
Yes, I'm starting a marine tank at the minute too. Will be keeping my discus and my nano but the other tanks have to go. I was intending on turning my trigon 350 into a marine and bought everything I needed to do it. Spent £450 getting everything together only to find a 95gallon on Gumtree all sumped with all the equipment I could need for £100. Couldn't quite believe it.
Wish I could say I was onto the stocking stage but I'm still researching hard on this one.

A pair of enormous "Albino Sailfin Mollies" bought for me as a gift by a well meaning relative. :rolleyes:

Jeez they were ugly and their behaviour was obscene, talk about labido they never stopped ! :blink:

Had to cover the tank when I had visitors !

edit...see what I mean..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qyZWaM0ZEic

I started off with seven guppies but a few deaths has gotten me down to four now. I'm waiting for them all to die so I can get something else.

You could always advertise them as available for free. I'm sure someone would have them. As it goes, I'd have them myself, but IIRC, you're in South Devon, aren't you?

I am, yeah.

I had considered asking my LFS if they would take them but I didn't in the end. At least one of the advantages of guppies is that they're always visible and they never hide. I'm in the same boat as micko in that I don't hate them, I just wouldn't have them again. From what I've heard guppies only live about two years and I've had mine six months already. Also, they were a good size when I got them (the ones my LFS sells now are much smaller) so I suspect they're the best part of a year old now anyway.

Besides, I've not yet decided exactly what I want to replace them with when they do eventually kick it. I've considered some female dwarf gouramis to go with my male, but I'll think about it more when the time comes.

My boyfriend, who knows nothing of Fishkeeping apart from what he's seen me do really wants piranhas when we're living together just so he can say he has piranhas. I've triedexplaining to him that they're messy things and most people I know who have had them say they're boring, but he still wants them.

Clown Plecos. The stupid things are so cute. You'll never prove it though. You could scare it out, but then it pales.

Nobody But The Goat, I know its the oposite end of the country and petrol costs would defeat the point!! But...

I was in MA @ Rutland (off to side of Lincolnshire) and they had a tank full of Decora at about 2-3" and they were like £8.00 and a deal on multiples! I cant find what I have done with it because I snapped a photo of the decora and the price tag as well.

Shame its so far because they were in nice nick as well!

Nobody But The Goat, I know its the oposite end of the country and petrol costs would defeat the point!! But...

I was in MA @ Rutland (off to side of Lincolnshire) and they had a tank full of Decora at about 2-3" and they were like £8.00 and a deal on multiples! I cant find what I have done with it because I snapped a photo of the decora and the price tag as well.

Shame its so far because they were in nice nick as well!

That's a great price at that size, I paid £7 each I think (or something close) for those six ~3cm specimens, crazy thing is I got those four S. flavitaeniata (approx. 5-8cm at the time) for £25 in total on the same visit. I was worried for months they might be hybrids (often "Valentino" cross with a Rift valley syno), but just before I lost them all they were showing all the clear signs of being true decora (all branched barbels, dorsal fin extension, horizontally striped caudal/dorsal fins).

If memory serves me right, you know MatsP, he is provisionally taking my one with him when he moves in the near future. Mats lost his four good size decora last year in part of a really sad tank wipeout believed to be associated with a good sized tankmated dying out of sight.

My Bolivian Rams have disappointed me. I was desperate to get them. Ended up getting two males. They are really pretty fish, and initially were interesting and full of character. Now they have gotten boring :sad: Even platies are more interesting :good:

Mats is amazing! He i'ds all my plecs for me so i can make sure I dont make mistakes because suppliers rarely get the true ID, its a shame for customers like you but there is just nothing we can do but become experts in every single fish ourselves.

Mats will be the best place a syno could ever wish for. Poor Mats, i made an epic memory mistake and told him i had a big decora he could have completely forgetting and mixing the two and i didnt have a decora, it was a brichardii lol. Not like they even look similar :blush:

My mums up in Rutland at the moment gone to visit my grandad. What a pain lol! That MA is small and oldbut they had some really super fish there! Shops with a lower turnover of fish seem to have bigger healthier fish for better prices. Their bleeding heart tetras were only £4 each and they were HUGE adults, ours are £8 and 1/3 the size but they have probably had them since tiny!

Im not very good ad i'ding synos but if i had to guess, they looked pretty spot on, the right body shape for sure as a lot of the decora hybrids look different shaped.

After trying out platies I realized that livebearers aren't my thing! They caused imbalance in my tank with all their chasing each other around, and I did not enjoy raising their fry :shout: , so I gave all my platies away!

Knowing Mats has Synodontis brichardi too, just like me (I'm planning to add to my duo this summer to get a total of 5 or 6 if possible, same for upping my 4 flavs, was all set for an online order before I lost one of my Redline Torpedo Barbs in the planned long term tank in early June), I'm sure he snapped it up anyway! :D

Right now I have a fish wishlist almost as long as my arm (Arnoldichthys spilopterus; Brycinus longipinnis; Pareutropius buffei/debauwi; a few more Pantodon buchholzi to join my singleton after its conspecific "pal" died at the hands of my Steatcocranus breeding pair last November... to name but a few), but given how I would only want to entertain 10+ groups of those tetras and midwater diurnal catfish, I would really struggle to justify spending nearly £100 on a species group right now when our rent has just gone up £75 pcm and we don't have a car anymore to easily visit LFSs. :/

Ouch! big rent rise!!

You're into your african species then! I love the Debawi cats!! And that second tetra is gorgeous, never really looked into them before. Have seen all species on availability lists recently though so they could be knocking about. Shame you don't drive really, cant make your life easy at all!

Back to boring fish... Khuli Loach are boring... *waits for the beating im due* as you rarely see them and Banjo Catfish are amazingly boring! I had a Nandus nandus as well, leaf fish i think? Mr Nandy. I loved him to bits but dear god he was boring! lol

Edit: And of course Mats couldnt say no to a big brichardii lol :p though im still embarrassed about my mistake LOL i sold him his Beckfords Pencil fish that he's got breeding.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back