Moss

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tl52505

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just recently got moss to add onto my driftwood, but it came on a metal grate so was hard to attach, I put it on with fishing wire but some of the end is not completely touching, will this still spread on the wood if it is on that grate

I just recently got moss to add onto my driftwood, but it came on a metal grate so was hard to attach, I put it on with fishing wire but some of the end is not completely touching, will this still spread on the wood if it is on that grate
Could you post a picture so we can better understand the situation? Also, I think that you posted in the wrong section:whistle:

Just to add that the thread has been moved :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, it should still spread and grow! A lot of people use metal mesh to attach their moss. As it grows, you'll still need to trim and maintain (depending on the type of moss) and potentially tie down the new growth to keep it where you want it to be. :)

Could you post a picture so we can better understand the situation? Also, I think that you posted in the wrong section:whistle:
Would using glue work better you think, I am also not sure what kind of moss it is because my local pet store sold it as “assorted moss”

Attachments

• 1EF50208-37BE-433E-B4C2-AC1700399E13.jpeg
    1EF50208-37BE-433E-B4C2-AC1700399E13.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 42
  • A89E6E72-DFEC-4A88-8636-3B8960301D97.jpeg
    A89E6E72-DFEC-4A88-8636-3B8960301D97.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 36
  • E9C09605-74CD-4253-A543-44E8C7A5E257.jpeg
    E9C09605-74CD-4253-A543-44E8C7A5E257.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 36
Most likely Java moss. It's not usually sold on metal- that's more for the rarer more premium mosses. But to my eye,its Java Moss. I would peel it off the metal and glue it to wood or a rock. The metal is like the equivalent of rockwool for plants,something they come in but not used in the aquarium.

Most likely Java moss. It's not usually sold on metal- that's more for the rarer more premium mosses. But to my eye,its Java Moss. I would peel it off the metal and glue it to wood or a rock. The metal is like the equivalent of rockwool for plants,something they come in but not used in the aquarium.
Will try, from what I saw when I pulled it out of the container it came in, it looked like it was on the metal bit pretty well, is gorilla glue gel safe, or should I get an aquarium specific glue

Will try, from what I saw when I pulled it out of the container it came in, it looked like it was on the metal bit pretty well, is gorilla glue gel safe, or should I get an aquarium specific glue
That glue is fine. It does turn white in the water but the growth should cover it.

image.jpeg
This is Vesicularia dubyana Java Moss in my 10 gallon. It doesn't really stick to anything , it just just kind of hovers and hangs out. It did stick to a sponge filter though so I suspect it needs something to grab. Very slow growing. It took a little clump the size of a golf ball two years to grow this big.

View attachment 163207This is Vesicularia dubyana Java Moss in my 10 gallon. It doesn't really stick to anything , it just just kind of hovers and hangs out. It did stick to a sponge filter though so I suspect it needs something to grab. Very slow growing. It took a little clump the size of a golf ball two years to grow this big.
Wow! I was not aware that it was that slow of a grower

View attachment 163207This is Vesicularia dubyana Java Moss in my 10 gallon. It doesn't really stick to anything , it just just kind of hovers and hangs out. It did stick to a sponge filter though so I suspect it needs something to grab. Very slow growing. It took a little clump the size of a golf ball two years to grow this big.
I've left a clump of java moss just hovering about too... bought when I got my first tank, used to have some attached to a "tree" I made, but that got taken over with hair algae so I took it down. Had some glued to a stone that grew like mad, but eventually, same algae problem making it look ugly. Kept a clump of java moss floating about just because I never decided on anything to attach it too, and noticed just the other day that it's now wrapped itself around the top part of the tank heater, and seems quite happy there, so I've left it.

It does seem to grow better when attached to something, but it also doesn't have to be attached :)

I have it growing tightly to wood....but thats my newest return of java moss. It for me has grown well..then died back...grows well or very well and fast and then dies back for whatever reason. I'm trying Taiwan Moss since near 2 weeks now, and it for sure is a bigger, coarser, moss,dark green. One for TFF plant people to give a try.
Any of that super glue is good. You do need to learn how to use it and not have those ugly glue spots. I still do that myself here and there.

Taxiphyllum alternans. So far reminds me of little pine trees. MD on Youtube uses it a lot and I can see why he does not keep java moss. Java moss can become just a filter inlet clogger!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back