More Guppy Babies

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jonny-5

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Spotted another Guppy dropping fry behind the air stone yesterday morning, That 2 different batches of fry in less than a week

Attachments

• DSC_0954.JPG
    DSC_0954.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 62
24 Hours on, Originally I managed to save a fair few but unknown to me they managed to swim out of the gaps in the breeding box & got eaten.
So I'm left with 8, They all seem to be having a good go at any food that's dropped in

I have a 29 gallon guppy tank and constantly see new guppies, they bread like rabbits. I must have a least 50 guppies in that tank. They over populate and I have had to move some to my 20 long RES turtle tank.

I know what you mean, It's very easy to be over run.
Cruel but if I get over populated they are going in the main tanks. Although I do have a good thing going with LFS after they are quarantined of course

Loads more fry found today during my water change.
Another female was dropping another batch of fry not long after, But noticed quite a lot were deformed, So I had no choice but to cull them. I felt awful doing it :-(

The first born was just a body with no tail but was alive & looked like a beating heart. Next up 1 only had 1 eye & sunken body like a thin piece of string, The next had a fully formed head but body was joined into another head with 3 eyes. Then the few more after that were normal

Oh I forgot to say, I noticed she was in labour & watched for a while but she was struggling dropping first fry as it didn't seem to want to leave her body

i've never come across a problem like that before however I have had fry that have been stuck on many occasions have removed to fry if left too long u run the risk of losing the Fry and female

Few Pics here for your info

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201123-235704.png
    Screenshot_20201123-235704.png
    437.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20201124-000054.png
    Screenshot_20201124-000054.png
    442.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20201124-000356.png
    Screenshot_20201124-000356.png
    401 KB · Views: 54
Not the best pics but my phone is garbage & best I could do at the time, Just looking back at the video I did at the time, Mom's gills were purple so she was obviously struggling. I put her back in main tank after that due to stressing her too much & she's fine now & happily eating

2 Weeks old now, They are happily taking any food offered to them. Just started normal size frozen Bloodworm today & they are happily chomping away.
I do 25% water change every 3rd day & each water change have ended up finding more fry each time, So have around 20 & the few left in the aquarium that evaded the gravel vac

Most reactions

trending

Back