More faff with otos

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gypsum

Fishaholic
Reaction score
There's always something going on with these wee critters.

Following a previous thread about inactive otos and suggestions that they were being stressed by the raphael catfish, I moved them to my 60L tank, which they share with seven cherry barbs and six pygmy corys. They have been in this tank since the beginning of October. At first, they looked better, but that didn't last long. They usually sit on the substrate. I never observe them feeding and quite frankly, I'm amazed they're still alive. The barbs are absolutely fine, and the pygmy corys could be more active (though two out of the six are usually buzzing around).

My best theory is that there are changes in water chemistry that we haven't detected, as we're not testing the tank every minute of every day. But it's a small tank and I'm aware they're harder to keep stable than large tanks. We do 40% water changes every four-to-five days, using a water conditioner. Today, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all zero, PH is around 6.6, and the water is soft.

We're trying to upgrade to a bigger tank (90-125L) but we're waiting for Gumtree to provide a suitable one. We've discussed shifting them back to the 240L tank in the meantime, which will be more stable but it subjects them to the raphael and to a bristlenose pleco that doesn't leave a lot of algae. The PH in that tank is around 7.4, so higher than the wee tank. I also don't want to upset the balance of my big tank, which is actually working at the minute and everyone seems to be getting along.

In light of all that, are they better off staying put in spite of the tank size (until I find a suitable upgrade) or should I try moving them back there? Is there anything else we can do to stabilize the water conditions in the wee tank?

Last edited:
I would leave them there until you get your new tank. Your water change/ maintenance/ conditions in the small tank seem very good. It's possible that the are moving around/ eating more than you think. They are nocturnal so try observing them at night. If they are ill, then moving them around tanks could spread disease. Good luck with them.

When otos remain primarily on the substrate, it can mean they are starving. They will come down, and that is when you want to be feeding them algae-based sinking disks. Initially wild otos won't usually eat this, preferring algae, but if that is insufficient they do quickly learn to feed from the sinking disks. Omega One's Veggie Rounds is ideal.

Another thing you could add are dried leaves, such as oak, maple, beech, or similar hardwood leaves that are completely dead, having fallen from the tree. Grazing fish usually feed on these readily.

I wouldn't go moving them around again, they don't like that much, and with a pleco and Raphael they are not likely to find much to eat from the sinking food anyway.

I can't get these ones to feed on algae wafers, not for lack of trying. I end up having to gravel hover disintegrated bits of algae wafer out of the tank. There's algae in their tank, and I leave them veggies (courgette, cucumber, or mushrooms) overnight. There's certainly more algae in the wee tank than the big tank, because the plec is very effective and thorough.

I'l give the leaves a shot.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back