More dead fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I had two new floating plants come in from Ebay when it all started, like I said it was fine for two months prior. Only thing I can link it to? But yeah that's what I'm hoping it just burns itself out
Curious what packaging did the plants come in as I’ve never ordered live plants only fish from eBay. My only guess is that there could have been something that latched onto the plants perhaps some type of snail or other creature that brought something, and considering it’s a huge tank, it’s be hard to see if anything was introduced and could be why it took a long time to spread if there was some virus. Seems like a really unfortunate situation :(

300 gals approx, 4ft. And they become a bit lethargic then die
Not to be argumentive, but based on the size of fish in ratio to the tank in the video...that can't be 300 gallons. It "looks" like a 75 gallon maybe, which would equate almost to a 300 liter tank? By the way, your tank is beautiful!

As for what is causing the die off, my thoughts are add a bubbler to break the surface of the water, and also what temperature and pH is your tank (sorry if you already discussed this)...I'm just thinking this is possibly due to low available o2. Oxygen, temperature, and pH are linked.

Last edited:
Also, another thought after watching your video, did you get that wood straight from nature? The reason I ask is because you should always use "hardwood" with no rot on it...lift it out of your tank and see if it smells weird or even if your water smells weird (before lifting the wood out). This is another possible cause of your issues.

Not to be argumentive, but based on the size of fish in ratio to the tank in the video...that can't be 300 gallons. It "looks" like a 75 gallon maybe, which would equate almost to an 300 liter tank? By the way, your tank is beautiful!

As for what is causing the die off, my thoughts are add a bubbler to break the surface of the water, and also what temperature and pH is your tank (sorry if you already discussed this)...I'm just thinking this is possibly due to low available o2. Oxygen, temperature, and pH are linked.
My filter makes enough oxygen, a lot of surface movement. And yes you're right it's 300L don't know why I said gallons because I meant Litres

Also, another thought after watching your video, did you get that wood straight from nature? The reason I ask is because you should always use "hardwood" with no rot on it...lift it out of your tank and see if it smells weird or even if your water smells weird (before lifting the wood out). This is another possible cause of your issues.
I believe they came from another fish tank, I bought all on marketplace. The wood does decompose but that's a natural process? I'm not too sure whether that'll cause issues? However when i got those 2 plants off ebay I did notice a few snails in the tank

Can black skirt tetra or yoyo loaches kill guppies? Could be another theory?

Edit: although 2 sword tail and one big platy on the death list so this is unlikely as they'd almost match the size of black skirt tetra

what is the surviving stocking right now?

I believe they came from another fish tank, I bought all on marketplace. The wood does decompose but that's a natural process? I'm not too sure whether that'll cause issues? However when i got those 2 plants off ebay I did notice a few snails in the tank

Snails are not causing fish deaths, and as for the wood, that is certainly something to consider but if that was the issue here one would expect all of the fish to be succumbing. Twice I have had wood-caused issues, and every fish in the tank was showing the ill effects (and dying).

Can black skirt tetra or yoyo loaches kill guppies? Could be another theory?

Edit: although 2 sword tail and one big platy on the death list so this is unlikely as they'd almost match the size of black skirt tetra

I thought of this earlier in this (or the other) thread, but I thought you had said there was no aggression among the fish? May have got off track on that. Nothing shows in the video, but the video is too short to tell and you need to be perfectly motionless for half an hour or so in order for the fish to forget you and do whatever they're doing, if they are.

Both the loaches and the Black Skirts are known to attack and kill other fish. Black Skirts need a group of at least 10-12 in order to (hopefully) confine their natural aggressive behaviour within the group. However, nothing rules out attacks on fish like guppies.

The loaches are in my view less likely to be doing this, but can't be ruled out. What species...look like Yo-Yo which is Botia almorhae, and this species is known to often take a dislike to long-finned upper fish, nipping them. It needs a group of at least five or six, to establish its hierarchy and this usually works to control aggression, but there are always exceptions.

I was having problems in my 4 foot tank also. Pandas and others were dying, everything was perfect, had lost none in quarantine, couldn't work it out. One of the posts on here was about the same issue, and someone mentioned dead spots. As a last resort I bought a koralia, and problems stopped. I don't use it all the time now, as I put in a second filter and a bubbler. But all the fish love it when I turn it on, livens up the whole tank. Hope it's not a silly suggestion, but I know how frustrating it is to be doing everything right, and your fish are still dying. Good luck!

The reason I am thinking oxygen may be an issue is because you said they were swimming at the top. When this happens, the general concensus is that you should do a large water change immediately. Essentially water changes accomplish two things, diluting the bad stuff and adding oxygen (and perhaps minerals, depending on your water source). Since you said your ammonia & nitrites are zero (and your nitrates were not too high imo), then it's probably not a water quality issue. Which leads me to think oxygen.

Anyway.i added a bubbler to every tank that didn't already have one (like those with sponge filters) and I've seen much less random unexplained fish deaths since then, so I think it's helping. My impression is that it's far more beneficial to have the bubbles of air traveling through the water column than just skimming over the top (even if it's a strong current).

Last edited:
The reason I am thinking oxygen may be an issue is because you said they were swimming at the top. When this happens, the general concensus is that you should do a large water change immediately. Essentially water changes accomplish two things, diluting the bad stuff and adding oxygen (and perhaps minerals, depending on your water source). Since you said your ammonia & nitrites are zero (and your nitrates were not too high imo), then it's probably not a water quality issue. Which leads me to think oxygen.

Anyway.i added a bubbler to every tank that didn't already have one (like those with sponge filters) and I've seen much less random unexplained fish deaths since then, so I think it's helping. My impression is that it's far more beneficial to have the bubbles of air traveling through the water column than just skimming over the top (even if it's a strong current).
I'll set up the bubbles

Most reactions

trending

Back