more babies!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

slamster17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well this was unexpected, no conditioning just normal feeding no heater just room temp(around 75) i noticed the male trying to court her yesterday and all i did was add a small indian almound leaf to the tank last night aand this morning they were both under the leaf and there was a very nice nest under it and they wrapped a few times from 9 to 9:45 this morning. i saw maybe 50 eggs get put into the nest. 1 problem, i didnt plan it so my mw culture was just cleaned yesterday:( how long will it take to get back up? what can i feed them until then?

:thumbs: I have finally had a spawn :D :D

Congrats! :D

It'll probably take about a week but they'll feed off their eggs sacks for a few days anyway - then give them some liquid foods from your LFS or hatch out some BBS as soon as possible until the microworms are ready again.

i wouldn't use flake for liquid foods for them, your mw culture should be back to a decent population in a couple days, if u keep it in a nice warm place there will be plenty. i too recommend u hatch some bbs, they only take a little under 24 hours to hatch for me and thats about when they need them, baby bettas do not live off their egg sacks for a few days, only 24 hours after hatching, once they are free swimming i recommend you starte them on bbs and then if ur cultures is up to it you can starte them on mw ;)

i have bbs eggs and containers for a few mw cultures but i dont know what to put the bbs eggs in :dunno: took out the female she was getting really stressed and the male is being good i think they ae so tough like this because they are wild caught fish i mean the spawn tank is in my living room with people walking all over and door opening and television. and i think maybe due to the rainy weather all week and the doors opening allowing in fresh air may have sparked the spawning? i mean i have only had the 2 fish for about a week and a half. :dunno:

well 24 hourrs no hangers yet but hopefully in another day or two(no heater in tank) What can i add to my mw culture to make the worms healthier and get the culture bigger faster?

well it has now been a day and a half still no hatchlings but the male is diligently guarding the nests i have no idea which leaf the eggs are under, he has relized that there is nothing that will hurt him so he has started resting farther away from the nest but if i move he darts under the nest, lucky there are ample amounts of fake plants near the nest for him to relax on while patiently waiting. the female is o so happy in here little tupperware tnk recooperating. i am going to try to slip in a thermometer, i kno the tank water has to be around 73ish, i didnt put a heater in the tank because i didnt plan this spawn and if i add a heater to the 2 gallon i am afraid i may disturb him too much. i fed him bloodworms and he ate a few small pieces. i will let you know when they hatch and any tips/ advice is very much appreciated.

2 days now and i guess due to the temperature no eggs have hatched but the father is still guarding the nest and he has moved it around. i have added somehot water to the tank and turned the thermostat in my house up to 71 so the tank temp is around 74 hopefully there will be babies when i get home from school. what can i do to raise the temp more withut adding a heater?

Good luck mate, wish you all the best! Keep us updated. :) Raise the temp? Can you heat the room your tank is? That'd prolly be the best idea. :dunno:

:fun: Well i got home a few min. ago and i checked the tank and i saw about 5-10 little fry hanging in the nest so they hatched on the 2nd day sometime between 7 am and 3 pm. how awesome. i just hafta hope my mw culture speeds up. :D :)

so now i wait 2 days and start to feed them bbs and mw?

this is strange, i say 20 this afternon 11 later then 5 and then none curently. the father is still guarding and he doesnt look fat. he is breathing rapidly and his jaw is abit squared could this bubblenesting species also have mouthbrooder tendencies or did he eat them? no one know. well im getting really paranoid now because not a single fry is visible and they are too young to be hiding among the plants. anybody have any ideas as to whether or not hes holding them in his mouth? :dunno: :blink:

Imbellis really don't have any mouthbrooding tendancies, they aren't like some of the other wild betta species who are more closely related to mouthbrooders. You'd know if he was holding them too - it's very obvious. The space between his "cheeks" when seen from the front would be expanded. I'll post a pic so you can see. Also, he'd tumble the eggs, which would be rather obvious - they flare the gills a bit and the pouch moves.

In the pic, the male on the left is holding.

Attachments

• brood3.jpg
    brood3.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 94
Awww sorry to hear that slamster :/

You sure there aren't any hiding? if not better luck next time

deffinately not hiding i cleaned and accidently messed up the nest and not a singlle baby fell out of it, i put them both back in the tank with some blodworms next time when they spawn again i will pull him when i see babies hanging.

Most reactions

Back