more a potential zoo animal???

Magnum Man37 152

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,660
Reaction score
6,918
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
I did a little researching into these… they seem really cool, but seems best as a specimen tank fish, and with them getting to 30 inches you’d need a really large specimen tank… they eat mostly worms, when small, at 30 inches who knows…
 
There's few things I remember about them (wild specimens )
They do well in sandy or preferably muddy substrate with lots of driftwood why ? the nose they get their nose from is a specialized organ/scanner that pulses electric currents to scan their environment for prey or predators similar to electric eels so they can basically do just fine in 0 visibility water or in total darkness
Some species are solitary and some stay in loose groups
Really shy and slow moving
 
They're "dolphins" like red tailed sharks are sharks - there's a vague resemblance used for marketing. It's just a larger Mormyrid species, but not one for one of your communities.

We caught so many relatives of these in Gabon. In some darker, shaded places they were everywhere. I was told they make excellent soup broth. Whether they're dolphins, baby whales or elephant noses, they're a good group of specialist fish.
 
I would put them in a small school in a large tank with dimmed blue light. I've seen them like that at a zoo once. And with such dimmed blue light, it was a real eyecatcher overthere. It was a mangrove tank with those roots in the water which gave it an extra nice look for the dimmed light was moving between those roots.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top