Molly/platy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kevin8688

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have two female black mollys in my tank I was watching my tank the other day and I happened to see some black fry swimming I quickly grabbed them put them in a breeding net. Then I started searching my tank for more and saw a couple red & black fry. I have male red/blue platies, my question is can they cross? I don't have any male black molly. Also, would those fry need extensive care? Some of my pure black fry have been dying and my other fry have been doing just fine. Would it be most likely because they are hybrids? I have 1 pure black fry left I separated him from the other fry for the moment and put him a bit of food. Thanks!

No, mollies and platies can't hybridise. Most livebearers carry a lot of recessive genes, so you never know what colours you're going to get!

No, mollies and platies can't hybridise. Most livebearers carry a lot of recessive genes, so you never know what colours you're going to get!

The baby fry is pretty identical to one of the black mollys. Could it possibly be that she came with some sperm in her and had a longer pregnancy than usual. I've had her for around a month and half now, not sure if any of my other platys have those kind of recessive genes and wouldn't it need two parents with those genes for the color of their body in this case be visible? One of my mollys right now does looks pretty fat and squared off I'm not sure if shes been a little greedy and over fed herself. I'll just see what happens in a couple days. Thanks though!

The baby fry is pretty identical to one of the black mollys. Could it possibly be that she came with some sperm in her and had a longer pregnancy than usual
Yes, that's perfectly possible.

I've had her for around a month and half now, not sure if any of my other platys have those kind of recessive genes and wouldn't it need two parents with those genes for the color of their body in this case be visible?
Yes, both parents would need to be carrying the recessive genes, but there's no way of knowing what colours might be in their lineage, ready to pop out unexpectedly!

Well, my last pure black fry just died this morning I still have one that is red and black. He seems very much alive, not sure if maybe the other fry where attacking the black ones because they are different. One of my black mollies looks heavily pregnant and I'm pretty sure hes not overfed I'll have to see what happens in the next couple days. Thanks for the reply :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back