Mollies disaster!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I thought you said, I don’t have to add medication to mollies if it already live in saltwater?

If you put mollies into salt water, you kill external parasites and bacteria and fungal infections but salt water does not treat intestinal worms. You need deworming medication for that because the worms are inside the fish and are unaffected by the salt water outside the fish.

You don't have to deworm them straight away, but virtually all mollies, guppies, platies and swordtails coming out of Asia have intestinal worms. So it's a good idea to treat them asap.

I’ll tell you, the main reason I wanted to keep mollies in saltwater is because a couple months ago I found a documentary about sailfin mollies and gambusia in the water of yucatan peninsula.

I’m going to set it up in a few weeks.
How much flow do live rock need and are gravel okay for live rock set up? Can I use an undergravel filter on this one?

@Colin_T

Last edited:
I don't think Gambusia are native to the Yucatan.

You can have gravel, sand shell, whatever you want on the bottom of a tank. Generally sand is cleaner if you have lots of live rock because it is finer and stops the gunk sinking down under the rocks.

You can't use an undergravel filter if you want lots of live rock because the rock stops the water flowing through the substrate.

Why do you want live rock for, is it for your corals to grow on?

Live rock doesn't need heaps of water flow but it needs some. A power head will provide heaps of water movement for it. If you have an entire tank full of rock, then have a couple of power heads (one at each end) to help prevent dead pockets.

Live rock is not poisonous. Live rock is simply rock that has been in water for 6 months or more. You can use dry limestone in an aquarium and after 6 months it is considered live rock.

Most live rock comes from tropical reefs and has various microscopic organisms on it. Some might have baby corals, crabs, sponges and other things. It's the other things that might be poisonous. Stuff like bristleworms can stick you with small spicules of glass and it irritates the skin.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back