Mollie has white patch on tail??

Elisabeth83

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi there,
yesterday I noticed my Mollie has some kinda white stuff on her tail. I've looked at different diseases but can't seen to identify it. It's transparent and doesn't seem to be bothering her. It isn't fuzzy. She's eating and swimming fine. What could it be?? :blink:

Thanks, Lis

I thought I would add that it is just the edges of her tail that seems to have a white film over it.

Could it be fin/tail rot?
some kinda slime?

I just got done treating for Ich so I'm wondering if it is safe to start a whole other treatment for fin rot?? Fin rot is baterial right?

Any help is appriciated!!! :unsure:

Yes, fin/flesh rot is bacterial usually,but it could be a fungus. Perhaps it's a secondary infection caused by skin damage from the ich. Did she have ich too?

Is it like a film?

I never saw ich on her...I only saw the white spots on my kissing gouramies....which one actually died. It's tail too got frayed and ragged.

I treated the Ich for about 12- 14 days.

Her tail right now isn't frayed or ragged...it's perfectly smooth...just has a strip of white on the edge.

Should I treat for tail rot (baterial not fungal)?

I've been doing frequent water changes with the ich ...almost everyday about 15-20%. I've still doing them...even thought I am not treating for Ich. I stopped treating about 5 days ago. Should I keep up the water changes???

Is it safe to treat for the tail rot? Is the ich medication all gone from the water?

Since I've been reading up on fin rot/tail rot...I've learned they can be 2 different diseases.....fungul and baterial....I assumed it was fungul...so treated yesterday for fungul...but now I realize it's baterial....if I started treatment today with baterial medication would it be too much since I used fungul medication yesterday? BTW yesterday I under dosed because I have a sucker fish.

Thanks!!! :p

Sorry yes...it's more like a film...it's see through...not pure white...not fuzzy either.

Is the ich gone? Can you see redness at the edges of the white?

Personally, I wouldn't medicate at all right now. Just do daily/every other day water changes for about a week and see if that helps. If it worsens, I suppose treat for fin rot. But I don't think it will worsen and you don't want to mix meds.

The Ich seems to be gone. I see no spots on any of the fish...none are darting rapidly anymore or rubbing on the gravel. So I assume it is all gone.

I never actually saw lots of dots on my fish....but when reading about Ich every other sign was there so I assumed it was ( it's a new tank about 6 weeks old ) so I treated for Ich.

Also my big kissing gourmi had like whitish bigger spots on his tail...not white spot....but those have been going away. I can't really see them anymore. He also had cloudy eyes but those are back to normal. I almost thought I was going to loose him while I had the Ich he was hiding all the time, scared of me and sitting on the bottom...not eating and was skinny. Now I added about 10 more plants and he's out all the time...sucking off the plants and eating all the time...hanging out in the front almost always and isn't scared of me anymore.

I didn't really want to medicate either because I'm afraid theres already too much medication in the water. I'll continue the daily water changes for another week and hope it helps!!

I also posted another message in the Gourami section about my dwarf gourami. It seems to be loosing color. It doesn't appear to be sick at all...and I read that they can change color to blend in...or if they are under stress. I really don't think it's stress though. eating fine and swimming great.

Thanks!!

How did you know how long to treat the Ich? I have been treating for a couple of days and still see white spots on the tail of one of my fish, and another is still flashing against objects in the tank... thx (sorry to go off topic, did you try aquarium salt?)

Hey,
I read a lot on the net about Ich....lots of people had different opinions...but because of the life cycle of Ich a lot of people said to treat minimum 10-12 days so you'd be able to catch the complete life cycle of the Ich. Seems to of worked for me. In the past I only treated for a couple of days and it never worked!! This time I treated for about 14 days. I did not treat everyday... I did treatments every other day and on those days I also did 15-20% water changes. The first 3 days I gave the full dosage it reommended on the bottle but it ended up killing my sucker fish and after I read somemore I found out sucker fish are scaleless and sensitive to the Ich medication so I then halved the dose. I also raised the temp to 82 because Ich can't survive high temps.

Hope this helps!

Lis :thumbs:

It does, thanks. I am in my 4th day of treatment and I still see Ich in the tank - it was a small breakout, one platy has white spots, and the molly is constantly flashing. But the spots are still there. Just dont want to overdo it with the medications. And I have fry in a separate tank that I want to add to the breeder tank in the main tank. Not sure if I should do that when Ick might be present.

hey what happened with your molly with the white spots? i am having the same problem right now. white spots on her tail... i took a really good look today and it is on one fin with obvious signs of fin rot. i feel bad, the tank is still making its way through the cycling process and having a big nitrite spike right now. i am doing water changes but i know this is part of the process. any additional advice? i started treatment today with a medication called macryzn or something, some general antiboptic.

Most reactions

Back