Mold Growing On Canopy!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

josh63762

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hay guys about 2 weeks ago I built a diy wood canopy for one of the tanks but I lifted the lid today and has a bit of green and white mold growing on it so I took it outside and aired it out and wiped the mold off. I then put a coat of polyurethane on the inside where the mold was I now just saw that the paint I used was polyurethane floor Varnish? is that aquarium safe will it work out or do I have touch build a whole nother Canopy!? thanks a bunch

You'll have to look closely at the tin. If it contains any fungicides, it should say on the tin somewhere.

you put it on your tank non finished? if so it needs to air out more than just a few hours or a few days. It needs to be bone dry to finish it like that. Other wise it will rot from the inside out. It will also have huge expansion issues and could possibly squeeze your tank to the point of breaking it. Wood can expand and contract up to an inch at times. For example, we have hard wood floors and there is this one board in the kitchen where it doesn't quite but up against the next board. In the summer the gap is hardly noticable, perhaps about 1/8". When winter rolls around and the wood drys out the gap grows to about 1"! So thats why you need to finish your wood before you expose it to humid/wet conditions.

thanks for the reply the canopy is not tight fitting at all and is totally open at the back so the wood wasn't that wet at all so it was bone dry in a matter of 4 hours in the sun (it was hot today) I finished it and popped it back on the tank after 6 hours (recommended drying time) so I will just have to wait and see :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back