Mohawk jr. is grown up

gwand41 158

Fish Aficionado
Fish of the Month 🌟
2x Tank of the Month!
Supporting Member ⭐
2x Pet of the Month!
Joined
Dec 31, 2022
Messages
3,097
Reaction score
6,178
Points
113
Location
Baltimore, MD
Here is a pic of Mohawk jr. taken this morning. He is more yellow than orange.
IMG_2101.jpeg

Here is a pic of Mohawk Sr. RIP. He was more orange.
IMG_1274.jpeg

Here is Mohawk jr.’s sister

IMG_1946.webp
 
All of Mohawk Sr.’s offspring are yellow. The orange was lost in the gene milkshake that’s called meiosis.
 
Mohawk Jr.’s future partner is in quarantine day 10. So far so good.
 
One issue with fancy bred Apistogramma is that when they come from major commercial sources, the females are often not the same strain as the males. It's a basic seller's trick to lessen competition, when a fish isn't the hardest to breed and raise.
From local sources, they are all apt to be siblings. There's a seller around here who started with brilliant red males and had sulphury yellow offspring for sale. I expect they'll breed true to their yellowy colours as they go on.
I've known some home breeders to get lucky and have both partners from the same colour form, but it is uncommon enough that you notice it.
 
Good point. I have a female sib of Mohawk jr. but I didn’t want to further the inbreeding. That’s why I purchased an unrelated orange morph female.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top