Moderators ?

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
Just exactly what is it that moderators do ? How much time does it take ? Do you stare at a screen all day and all night until your eyes glass over ? Why can't we members grade you and rate you ? Everyone has a boss , do you ? Have you saved us from nefarious evil doers that were fomenting our demise ? Do you like it ?

Fair questions, all.

1. We mostly are just forum members. When we see a violation of the rules, we act on it. Usually this involves discussion with the other mods; in an emergency we can take action independently pending such discussion.
2. It varies. I try not to be on the forums TOO much. Others are on a lot. We're volunteers, so we put as much time in as we can/want to.
3. No. See previous answer.
4. @Chad and @dascrow are our benevolent overlords. I think there are a couple other admins, but I don't see them too often.
5. Yes, we actually have. I can think of at least five occasions in which the forum would have self-destructed into a cesspool of conflict and negativity without our intervention.
6. Yes and no. I enjoy the camaraderie with the other mods, and there have been a couple times that wielding the ban hammer has felt satisfying. But I'm not that into being an authority figure and sometimes we have to make decisions that are very difficult and/or very sad. I'll probably pull a @Wills and retire at some point, but it's satisfying giving something back.

Just exactly what is it that moderators do ? How much time does it take ? Do you stare at a screen all day and all night until your eyes glass over ? Why can't we members grade you and rate you ? Everyone has a boss , do you ? Have you saved us from nefarious evil doers that were fomenting our demise ? Do you like it ?
We moderate the forums.
Lots
no
because
yes...the admins
yes
yes

We don't spend all day looking at the screen. I may look as though I do because I log in usually in the morning (UK time) but don't log out until bed time. Well strictly speaking I don't log out, I just delete all history & browsing data when I close the browser for the night and that logs me out.

Time - as long as we want. I'm retired so I can pop in and out whenever I have a moment. I have my settings set so I get emails of things like reported posts so if I'm doing other things on my laptop (eg shopping ;)) I can respond quickly.

The admins are like the government, they set the rules. Mods are civil servants, we do the day to day running of the forum abiding by the rules set by the admins. (The admins also look after the software)

Classified information, sorry...

Thank you friendly neighborhood moderators. All your answers were as evasive and non-committal as I knew they would be. A simple "none of your business" would have sufficed. I give all of you a grade of satisfactory except @Fishmanic . To him I give the highest grade possible. The guy scares me.

Thank you friendly neighborhood moderators. All your answers were as evasive and non-committal as I knew they would be. A simple "none of your business" would have sufficed. I give all of you a grade of satisfactory except @Fishmanic . To him I give the highest grade possible. The guy scares me.
Per your criteria,
I think @Slaphppy7 deserves the highest grade as well.

Image result for spam

In fact, SPAM only contains six ingredients! And the brand's website lists them all. They are: pork with ham meat added (that counts as one), salt, water, potato starch, sugar, and sodium nitrite. Most of those are as simple as simple gets!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back