Midground Plant filler

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

MattW3344

fishy wishy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I've got a section of my plant island that has become bare since my hygrophila pinnatifida died. I've been looking for alternatives preferably red plants but most seem to be stem types. Is there a red bushy/compact plant that could go behind my crpyt parva to fill in?

60L tank

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 12
It is likely an issue with light intensity. And red leaf plants need more intense light than green, because the leaves appear red due to reflecting red light. But red is also the primary photosynthesis wavelength (along with blue) so this means the plant needs more red light. Now, do not take this to mean adding red light, that is not the way to go; it means the intensity of the white light (high in red, blue and green) has to be increased. However, increasing the light may be detrimental to the fish, and other plants. I did find that the "red" leaf crypts did fairly well in my moderate light tanks. But the bright red won't.

Thanks for the info I currently have a DIY light on this aquarium which is probably the reason for the hygrophilia dying. I do have a crypt undulatus hidden away on the right so I could use another one of them to fill that space. Ideally, though something with a bit of height would be perfect.

Light

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back