The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nortonmad213

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi all
smile.png

so i was wondering what you guys do to prepare veggies before giving them to your fish?
was interested in trying each method to see if that changes the way that they eat.
so all opinions welcome
smile.png

thanks in advance.
edit: could somebody move this to tropical questions please put in completely wrong place :S sorry

I only really feed courgette or cucumber and I just put them in as they are :)

I find my fish are more prepared to eat veg if they are softened slightly (the veggies that is, not the fish, lol!). Land plants have a lot more cellulose than aquatic ones, so are harder for the fish to eat.

I pour boiling water over them while I'm making tea; by the time the tea is done, the veg are ready too :) That's with the exception of cucumber; that's so soft it doesn't need it, but cucumber is so nutritionally poor, you don't want to be feeding it too often anyway; other veg are better.

fluttermoth said:
I find my fish are more prepared to eat veg if they are softened slightly (the veggies that is, not the fish, lol!). Land plants have a lot more cellulose than aquatic ones, so are harder for the fish to eat.

I pour boiling water over them while I'm making tea; by the time the tea is done, the veg are ready too
smile.png
That's with the exception of cucumber; that's so soft it doesn't need it, but cucumber is so nutritionally poor, you don't want to be feeding it too often anyway; other veg are better.

what veg do yo uuse flutter?
i was going to give my bn a couple bits of cucumber a week just for variety but if its no good nutritionaly then i'll have to find something else :)

Alm0stAwesome said:
I only really feed courgette or cucumber and I just put them in as they are
smile.png
how do they respond to the veg? go mental or just have a nibble now and again?

Courgette, carrot, sweet potato, broccoli stalks will all go down well with plecs, some people say they also go nuts for mushrooms

I use zuke and cuke.  I use the zucchini twice a week, and the cucumber once a week.

First, I get a bowl of cold tap water and place that in my freezer to get it good and cold.

Then I cut the ends off, next cut lengthwise in 4 strips.  Shorten the strips to about 4 inches in length.

Next I put them in the pot with the steamer, (water below) and let that boil about 3 minutes.

I get the bowl out of the freezer, and use tongs to put  2 each of the strips in the cold water.  I let that stay for 2 or 3 minutes.

Finally, I place the strips on the floor of the tank.  Each tank gets one zuke and one cuke strip.  They don't float, when I prepare them this way, so I don't need to anchor them.  They are soft, and I set them skin side down.

This week I also used yellow squash, prepared the same way.  So 3 strips went in each tank.

I usually put the strips in the tank in the evening, and remove in the morning.  The strips are all nimbled and munched!  I did try putting them in early evening so I could watch, but nothing happened until I put the lights out and left.

The rest of the strips are for me and my dogs!  Nice bedtime treat, all gone!

If you microwave frozen peas until they are hot and then squeeze them the insides come out and you are left with the peas casing.
Discard the casing as small fish can get stuck in them.
Simply drop the pea insides into the tank.

I heard somewhere they help with blockages in a fishes digestive system and trapped gas but I am unsure on how true this is though.

Thanks M4

wow such a multitude of replies :) thanks to all.
im going to try them tonight on cucumber and if possible post pics or vids for you all :)
thanks again

I feed everything raw, boiling tends to remove some of the good stuff. I want as many of the vitamins and minerals as possible to stay in the food

I put a few shelled peas in each tank this afternoon.  In the large tank, the cories are all over them! 

Alasse said:
I feed everything raw, boiling tends to remove some of the good stuff. I want as many of the vitamins and minerals as possible to stay in the food
is there no possibility of bugs getting in without being cooked?

Freedom said:
I put a few shelled peas in each tank this afternoon.  In the large tank, the cories are all over them! 
with no prep? sorry for all these questions still getting my head around it

What works for one may, or may not, work for another. Don't be afraid to experiment. As long as the vegetables are well washed and safe to put in the tank nothing bad will happen. Although I'd avoid putting anything frozen in there. Not sure how sensitive fish teeth are 
tongue2.gif

I dont worry about bugs when i eat things raw, i cant see it any different to giving raw to them :) I give it a rinse and cut it up and in it goes.

I also add frozen peas to the tank lol, doesnt take em long to thaw out

well im sorry to say that tea time never came for them last night as when i got home it was far too late.
so they had breaky this morning in prep for veggies tonight :)
will post results after i raid the salad drawer :)

nortonmad213 said:
with no prep? sorry for all these questions still getting my head around it

Sorry no, I did what was posted above:  I put them in a bowl of water, microwaved for 2 minutes, waited for that too cool, then removed the "shell" or casing and put the insides in the tank.  All gone this morning, even in the smaller tank!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back