microsword

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

panboy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
so i have a 46g, with 2.7wpg and i add some iron and potassium and a couple root tabs where needed.

i thought i could handle the microsword but the ends of the leaves are brownish.
this has to be a lack of something but im not sure.

do u think they need a root tab underneath them? and do the require more light than i have? or higher dosages of iron/potassium?

any help would be great, thanks

Hi Panboy,

Sound like you have enough light, I assume the microswords aren't shaded by other plants? I would try root tabs, all Echinidorus sp. are mainly gross/root feeders. I've recently thinned out my lawn, discarding the weaker plants and these had roots which were 3" long. I have 1.8 WPG using laterite and a heater cable, co2 approx 20 mg/l.

One other point is that there are several types of E. tenellus (microsword), some of which are different shades. Mine have a reddish tinge to them, are they sending off runners and what sort of texture is the brown affected area?

well i had problem before with microsword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis well thats the one i had) and im not sure but maybe it was due to my gravel.. it was having a hard time clinging to it and maybe getting nutrients because my gravel is fairly large around half a pea size each....

and around that time i was using 3 WPG no shade and root tabs near em... im not really sure so somebody correct me if im wrong :) they looked ok but they didn't carpet and eventually browned up... dunno y

nope, its not shaded at all. i forgot to say that i add co2 also...
Wierd, maybe I need to increase my dosage of fert? but then i'm pretty sure algae will take over as i have tons already....

the brown texture is just the same as the leaf. Not really a texture, just different color of the plant.

thanks for the help, ill add a roottab and see hwo that works

Most reactions

Back