Microrasbora Classification

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

daizeUK

Fish Botherer
Reaction score
I have been browsing the nano fish list and doing a little research on each species.
I noticed that there are 5 microrasboras listed plus a microdevario:

> 28L or 7 gal
Microdevario Kubotai (Green Neon Rasbora). 6
[...]
Microrasbora Erithromicron (Emerald Dwarf Rasbora). 6
Microrasbora gatesi. 6
Microrasbora kubotai. 6
Microrasbora nana. 6
Microrasbora rubescens. 6

I was having difficulty finding information on a lot of these species.  On another site I found the following information about microrasbora:

The genus has undergone a number of systematic changes in recent years but currently contains only M. rubescens and M. microphthalma. A phylogenetic study by Fang et al. published in 2009 revealed that other species formerly included in the grouping are more closely allied with Devario and reclassified them as members of new genus Microdevario, further separated from Microrasbora by differences in some aspects of internal morphology.

So Microdevario kubotai and microrasbora kubotai are the same fish.  M. gatesi and M. nana have likewise been reclassified as Microdevario.

Microrasbora rubescens (red dwarf rasbora) is apparently the only true microrasbora remaining on the list.

The emerald dwarf rasbora is confusing, it seems to have so many names that the only thing everyone agrees on is that it's not a microrasbora!  The most current name seems to be Danio erithromicron but it looks like they're still arguing over this one.

Anyway the upshot of it all I think is currently this:

> 28L or 7 gal
Microdevario kubotai (Green Neon Rasbora). 6
Microdevario gatesi. 6
Microdevario nana. 6
Danio erythromicron (Emerald Dwarf Danio). 6
Microrasbora rubescens (Red Dwarf Rasbora). 6

Yeah the microrasbora galaxy or the D. erythomicron are being argued over

Alright I'll get that changed, thanks for the input.

Tek oot.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back