Congo tetra compatibility

Tacocat

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently cycling my 45ish gallon planted tank and now I'm currently thinking of stocking plans and I'm hoping to have a centrepiece school of 6 congos. Do you guys think that this list would be viable to keep with this?

Rainbow tetra/emperor tetras or other larger tetras
Various cory groups
Forktail rainbows
Farlowella whiptail
1 pleco
Neocaridina shrimp colony (if no Caridina)
nerites

possible but probably incompatible:
Caridina shrimp
Celestial pearl danios
Emerald dwarf rasbora

Fully grown Congos can easily swallow CPDs and emerald dwarf rasboras. Nematobrycon species would make much better tankmates.
That's what I thought too, just wanted to confirm with someone else to convince my brother.

Look up the max size of Congos. They are not aggressive fish, but their size alone makes them tough to find companions for. If you are a terrible aquarist, they'll stay as big as when you bought them, but if you have any skill at all, they'll barge around and their size will become intimidating.

Look up the max size of Congos. They are not aggressive fish, but their size alone makes them tough to find companions for. If you are a terrible aquarist, they'll stay as big as when you bought them, but if you have any skill at all, they'll barge around and their size will become intimidating.
Yeah, that's been a problem for finding tank mates already. My brother is rather reluctant on congos, but I'm trying to find a compromise that satisfies both him and keeps a nice looking tank

Edit: I've seen pictures on google of beautiful planted tanks with plenty of smaller tetras so I was thinking that with enough plant density I might be able to keep some smaller fish in there as well like rasboras.

I have never had issues from the Congo Tetras myself, and I have had them on 3 occasions over the 30-odd years, but they do need space, and a 4-foot tank is absolute minimum. And they need a group of 10-12 (or more).

Celestial Pearl Danios need a group of 20 and are best in their own tank.

I have never had issues from the Congo Tetras myself, and I have had them on 3 occasions over the 30-odd years, but they do need space, and a 4-foot tank is absolute minimum. And they need a group of 10-12 (or more).

Celestial Pearl Danios need a group of 20 and are best in their own tank.
My tank is only 3 foot, so I guess that scratches out congo tetras. Thanks for the advice.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back