Micro-worm Cultures

Good link, thanks. I may try this - I've got 50+ platy fry that seem to be very slow to grow (otherwise healthy and happy). I tried daphnia from the LFS but they're too big for the smaller fry. Plus I'm really leery of getting live food from the store b/c I had a camallanus outbreak a while ago that took some serious doing to clear up and I don't want that again.
Can the microworms carry any parasites that will affect fish?

and its so easy to culture<i just got a small culture from modaz last week and now i have my own micro worm farm and its so easy as this link exsplains
[URL="http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA022"]http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA022[/URL]
my guppie fry and grown up guppys just cant get enough
 
hmm good question, i havent heard of any, my fish book i have says nothing about micro worms but some other forms of live food can cause problems,
iam going to do a bit more research via our friend google :unsure:
i understand platys take a long time to mature so think your ok there :good:
if anyone can reply to the question above about parasites please do so thanks
 
Good link, thanks. I may try this - I've got 50+ platy fry that seem to be very slow to grow (otherwise healthy and happy). I tried daphnia from the LFS but they're too big for the smaller fry. Plus I'm really leery of getting live food from the store b/c I had a camallanus outbreak a while ago that took some serious doing to clear up and I don't want that again.
Can the microworms carry any parasites that will affect fish?

and its so easy to culture<i just got a small culture from modaz last week and now i have my own micro worm farm and its so easy as this link exsplains
[URL="http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA022"]http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA022[/URL]
my guppie fry and grown up guppys just cant get enough


cheers for that steady :good:

Everything from above, YES – but why is this always called 'fry' food..?
How many fully-grown fish will turn their noses up at a small cloud of micro-worms added to their tank? Not many, IMO...
Every single fish over 3 inches I have...It's really fry food.I'm selling microworm cultures targaa66, just pm me.I have too much lol...And no fry.
And whats a 2mm worm going to fill up
 
[/quote]
Every single fish over 3 inches I have...It's really fry food.I'm selling microworm cultures targaa66, just pm me.I have too much lol...And no fry.
And whats a 2mm worm going to fill up
[/quote]

Sorry, Cheesy Feet, I should have said: “In my community tank...” I don't have much over 3 inches in there – but my four inch kribs still seem quite fond of 'em... :drool:
 
Abit OT but is there any other food thats easy to culture, buts bigger than microworms say around 0.5-1"?
 
GRINDAL WORMS are closely related to micro worms but larger.They are cultivated in small wooden boxes 12*17cm and 4cm deep,which are filled almost to the top with well moistened mixture of peat soil and leaf mould.A small culture of the worms is put in the middle of the box and a small ammount of cooked cereal<porridge,bread or boiled potatoe,Also added before the box is covered with glass and kept in a dark place at around<24c>. After a few days worms will be found at the suface and can be removed for feeding:provided the box is kept warm and moist and cereal added regular,The culture will continue almost indefinitely as the worms breed and multiply


ENCHYTRAE are even larger but if cultured the same as above <but kept at 10-14c>they will be avalible at diff stages of growth so taken by both small or large fish.They are good food in moderation but being fatty should not be given in excess.....
http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~davidr/discus/liv...s/cultures.html
EARTH WORMS are a great source but because you should chop them up people find this distastful,Those intrested in gardening may be reluctant to destroy there most valuable lodgers

But have to say that my two angels that are roughly 6inches relish the micro worms aswell
 

Most reactions

Back
Top