Meyer Update: He Died

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jollysue

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
At my employment (a teen boys' group home), a bright new tank was purchased for the house's 10" OrangeOscar. He has never had more than enough room to turn around in so it seemed like there was lots of left over space. Consequently Meyer joined Oscar in the 50 usg. Both fish 10"+.

Meyer started as a fat and healthy, tank bred frontosa who had never eaten live food. Oscar only eats everything , but he is loved for his ability to grab feeder goldies.

Meyer has never been happy, but the whole house of non fish keepers ignores me. He is skin and bones now and mostly withdrawn to a cubby of the tank. Yesterday a never-owned-a-fish staff directed a never-owned-a-fish boy to change the water. I have been informed by the only other fish hobbiest in the house that the water is never changed, just topped off. Bottled Abraham water was used--outside temperature--probably 50 degrees at best. In the morning Meyer began to lay on his side in the tank. That got the house lead's attention like my nagging never had. It also was the second fish to appear doomed in the week. Over my repeated objections, two crawdads were brought from the lake or river to Oscar's tank. They are one of a long line of inhabitants to last until their strength gave out. We have tortured beautiful young sparkling big mouth bass, huddled together in a corner, with bite nicks on their faces. -_- :-( :angry: :X

Yesterday morning the other hobbiest and I were instructed to do something if we wanted. We agree, that even if Meyer pulls through now. it will not solve the problem. A second tank as an option is not available. I offered a sixty usg to put on the bottom rack of the double rack. It was rejected as another responsibility that the director didn't want.

Both the director and the hobbiest say I should take it home. I would only take and bring it back if the living arrangements are changed. I have a 100 usg that is available (just a few fish to relocate.)

So, give me some starters for nursing a pacifist frontosa. He was out of food a while back and hadn't eaten in days. I had some Bio Labs granule type flakes. Meyer really took to them although they are way too small and dirty the tank. A week or two ago I got some Aquarian large Cichlid pellets. Oscar likes them; Meyer won't touch them.

More than anything what should I look for to help him/her. The 100 usg is a planted tank w/ eco substrate, not cichlid or pea gravel.

Everyone may have changed their minds since yesterday. Give me step by step authoritative instructions and maybe I can get the lead super's attention. Authority recognises authority.

Well there's the ramble. I would like to see Meyer healthy and happy, here in his home, cared for appropriately, and my 100 usg back to my community tetra tank with appistogrammas, cories, and botia--maybe some new BN. :-(

Meyer has taken up residence in my 100 usg. He/She has half, divided at the Mother Amazon. The Tetras, clown loaches, and cockatoos have the other half. Everyone gets blackworms as their staple diet, except Meyer who loves my Aquarian Flakes. He is a very messy eater. He needs a gravel substrate. I don't think he loves the dirt floor. But he looks better already, and I catch him watching me.

Sorry, I don't have any advice for you but I just wanted to say "well done" and good luck! :clap:

Meyer and my sturdy Tetra have earned show rights.

For your apparent interest and full viewing pleasure:

Meyer and Company:

Meyerwithtetrasandclowns007.jpg

Meyerwithtetrasandclowns010.jpg

Meyerwithtetrasandclowns011.jpg

Meyerwithtetrasandclowns006.jpg

Meyerwithtetrasandclowns014.jpg

She's really lovely and quite grand. I know at half off she was a steal at $75, but not dead ( I didn't pay for her.) She looks beaten, while Oscar is luminescent. I have no pics of Oscar at present.

In the cave in the last pic some cockatoo ladies like to play house at times. They are tired of waiting for Meyer to move along, so they have dashed over and claimed their cave. They peek out and dash across to Tetraland occasionally.

I am heart sick when I see the remaining crawdad, antennaless, alone, dying. But I don't have a place for him. He would eat all my miniatures.

Thats great. ;)
I wish I had more to say... :/

The silly thing wants to go to Tetraland to play with the little fellows and the clowns. He/She looks and creeps uo then shakes his head and turns around and speeds back to dull Cichlid World. She gets so frustrated she goes to the Mother Amazon and bites and shakes loose a top of a leaf and looks right at me and spits it out. :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :fun: It's like Dumbo trying to play with the birds. haha

I have some research to do. Hahaha.

Thanks, Ethos. She's a cutie alright.

Nice fish and great pics, looks like Meyer is doing much better following the move. :)

Nice fish, good luck with it.

When she eyes your other fish though, I don't think this piscavore is thinking about playing lol.

Thanks, folks.

That's my first thought, too, freddyk, but she has never shown any interest in any food but flakes in the 6 months they had her. Oscar got feeder fish as his staple diet, but Meyer never showed any interest. The little silvertips and glolights are swimming around her and the cockatoos are fixing up the cave, but she just floats serenly around. My concern is that she might get irritatted and snap and get a taste. She shows annoyance at my Mother Amazon.

When I moved her she mouthed my hand tenderly, then the dipping cup. I thought it was gratitude, but now I don't think so. Oscar would have brought blood. :/

I am still looking over my options for living arrangements. I put her in without quarantine, too, it occurs to me. I have some new fish to home this week.

I should say that the House Lead Supervisor is a wonderful person. He got me the help I needed to move a 3 bedroom house I or my family has been in for almost 50 years. He got almost everything out in 45 days to a one bedroom apartment. We spent three weekends non stop with three childcare worker men, myself and a teen deliquent crew of 6-8. It was a tsunami. But he does not have a heart for the creatures.

That said...Thanks, Lucky. I think I may stop today and look for some substrate and shop for a setup. It must be space saving. I like Meyer. Maybe I'll buy him. But he needs a proper home and showcase. Give me some proper specs for him: Optimum tank dimensions, gravel, decor (he chews my Amazon :hyper: ), plants.

:hyper: He/She was on his/her side! Do frontosas do that? Meyer got right up when I called her.

No, I've never seen one of my fronts on their sides, but then again who knows what years of solitude does to a fish?

I enjoyed reading your thread, sue. She's certainly lovely,good on you. I hope you can find a place for her/him. If anything she can come live with mine :p

I should say that the House Lead Supervisor is a wonderful person. He got me the help I needed to move a 3 bedroom house I or my family has been in for almost 50 years. He got almost everything out in 45 days to a one bedroom apartment. We spent three weekends non stop with three childcare worker men, myself and a teen deliquent crew of 6-8. It was a tsunami. But he does not have a heart for the creatures.

That said...Thanks, Lucky. I think I may stop today and look for some substrate and shop for a setup. It must be space saving. I like Meyer. Maybe I'll buy him. But he needs a proper home and showcase. Give me some proper specs for him: Optimum tank dimensions, gravel, decor (he chews my Amazon :hyper: ), plants.

A 150 -180 gallon tank is good for Frontosas. They should live in colonies of 10+ (If you decide to keep, buy some buddies). Dark substrate is always best, even more preferably, one that increases the PH. Decor, nothing really. Maybe a few rocks to hide behind, but other than that, they're pretty open water fish. Very subdues lighting gives an interesting deep water effect. Plants, if you want to keep it natural looking, none. Although they shouldn't chew on Java Fern or Anubias Var. Nana.

I've been doing a lot of reading on Frontosa recently but have no personal experience with them. (I hope to keep some one day, beautiful fish) I recall reading somewhere about Frontosa swallowing air as a result of stress and floating near the surface on it's side. Wish I could remember more about it and where I saw it.

Most reactions

Back