Megaladoras Uranoscopus Aka Irwini Aka Giant Talking Catfish

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
just thought i would share a pic of quite a rare catfish, my megaladoras uranoscopus aka irwini catfish aka giant talking catfish. he is very much a night time fish and really doesnt do daylight but i guess he was a hungry boy today as he came out on full show.......
still quite small at about 10-11 inches but very stunning, if you like doras then you will love him. check out those spikes running down his flanks :hyper:
IMAG0153.jpg

these cats are very shy and harmless they just look like a nasty piece of work. wouldnt trust it with smaller fish though for obvious reasons....

managed to get another pic of this beast last night. he has to be at least a foot long now!!!!!!!!!!!! awesome looking cat but im not sure how much longer i can keep him in with my rays :sad:
IMAG0258.jpg

he looks fantastic mate, I once saw a huge one in a public aquarium and they look formidable

they are second to none on the wow factor. very alien like with its blue eyes and looks so mean but such a big softy really. hes currently in with the rays and does a superb job of cleaning up after them :good:

What a prehistoric looking fish, never seen one before, he is very impressive

What a prehistoric looking fish, never seen one before, he is very impressive
these arent very commonly available but if you look hard enough you should find one and yes they do look very prehistoric and looks like it belongs swimming around with the dinosaurs!!!!! it fits in well with my rays and gars with the prehistoric tank :lol:

He looks lovely! I wish I could have one, but I've never seen those in here...

I love talking catfishes, my striped raphael catfish is my very favourite in my biggest tank!

He looks lovely! I wish I could have one, but I've never seen those in here...

I love talking catfishes, my striped raphael catfish is my very favourite in my biggest tank!
the raphael is pretty much the same fish just on a much much smaller scale. i alweays seem to have a talker or two in my set ups. i just happens...... :)

while changing my tank lay out i managed to get some great pics of this cat. i hope you enjoy them :)
IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

hes a big softy really and doesnt harm anything, just looks scary.....

hes currently about a foot in length inc tail and i wouldnt like to try catching him. washing up bowl and a poly box would be needed i think if this ever needed moving :crazy:

When I'm getting a bigger tank I'm definetly wanting one! My current tank is still too small (http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Megalodoras&species=uranoscopus&id=627, they say the minimum bottom dimensions should be like 240 cm x 120 x and I'm only 170 x 60 cm at the moment. We'll they grow to be huge! :wub: ) but in the future, maybe... :hey:

Most reactions

Back