Meet Finnigan the Crested Gecko

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dmpfishlover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Here is a picture of our ~ 4-5 mo old Crested Gecko Finnigan. :D Well the name is Finnigan for now, until we are certain it's a male. I say that he is "ours" because I help make sure he is taken care of properly, but he is really my daughter's pet. She is the one holding him below.
IMG_20200614_141838759.jpg

IMG_20200614_141831266.jpg
IMG_20200614_141846673.jpg

IMG_20200614_141713883.jpg

Sorry the pictures are a little blurry and there is some glare on his Terrarium.

It is hard to sex them at this age, but I am thinking we may need to change the name... It is looking to me like we have a female. We had a male a few years back named Gator, so we have a point of comparison. My daughter will be upset if it is a female because she really wanted to name it Finnigan.... Female name suggestions are welcome, just in case!! ;)

Anyway, Crested Geckos are the coolest lizards and in my opinion one of the best Beginner reptiles for people looking to get into them.

Last edited:
I've had Green Anoles, an Iguana, turtles and snakes in the past. I Love Reptiles..well, I guess I should say that I Love ALL animals. There are very few animals I haven't had at some point on my life
I wish I had some reptiles instead of those smelly cats. I love all animals too, but just cats, I'm not in to cats...

Awwww...!!

So cute! I’ve always wanted a gecko of some sort because they seem to have LOADS or character. :wub:
They do have tons of personality... Of you do end up getting a Gecko, definitely go with an Eyelash Crested Gecko over a Leopard Gecko... Crested Geckos are so much easier to care for than Leopards.. They do not require heating as much as Leopards do. You can get away without a heating lamp (although we do have one on Finnigan's tank just in case) and they primarily eat fruit, so we feed him a special powder made just for Cresties that you mix with water to make a slurry like baby food. Then we supplement with crickets a few times a week.

They do have tons of personality... Of you do end up getting a Gecko, definitely go with an Eyelash Crested Gecko over a Leopard Gecko... Crested Geckos are so much easier to care for than Leopards.. They do not require heating as much as Leopards do. You can get away without a heating lamp (although we do have one on Finnigan's tank just in case) and they primarily eat fruit, so we feed him a special powder made just for Cresties that you mix with water to make a slurry like baby food. Then we supplement with crickets a few times a week.
I’ve always wanted a bearded dragon. They are so cute, and investigative. :wub:

Cool little guy, I have always been into turtles but geckos look like fun to own and my turtles will not sit on my arm or like to be held. But they do like being hand fed.
When I was in highschool I saved up my money and bought a plastic children's swimming pool and hardware cloth/screen, and I dug a hole in our back yard (with permission of course..lol) and sunk the swimming pool into the ground and put a fence around it. I stocked it with sun turtles, tadpoles and minnows that I found/caught in the river near our house. I even planted some aquatic plants in and around the pond...Come fall the animals either came inside for the winter or were returned to the river, and the pool was emptied. (In New England a pool becomes a block of ice in winter!!) :D

I have a plastic pool too for the turtles and have the same problem in winter. I took in several baby painted turtles that I raised until they were big enough to make it on their own. The RES turtles I bought in China Town, New York city as babies and are 25 years old. Here is a picture of a baby painted turtle on top of a 3 year old turtle.

Attachments

• DCP00574.JPG
    DCP00574.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 118
I have a plastic pool too for the turtles and have the same problem in winter. I took in several baby painted turtles that I raised until they were big enough to make it on their own. The RES turtles I bought in China Town, New York city as babies and are 25 years old. Here is a picture of a baby painted turtle on top of a 3 year old turtle.
Sooo cute! There is nothing cuter than baby turtles!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back