Meet Cichlid Chateau

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Thanks!
Hereā€˜s the ship. Many fish came out of hiding because I fed them.
C8CED58D-21B1-45EB-A8B6-C93832E2A21C.jpeg

I know fake decor has gone out of fashion lately (at least for proper grown up aquarists).... but the ship is cool. IMO the fishes needs to be considered first, but having checked the stuff Colin mentioned - the fish will like this no less than a "proper" set up with the caves created by boulders.

Tom came out, but I donā€™t know if thatā€™s because he had better egress or we rocked his boat.
LOL, sorry that has an interesting meaning where I am. A bit like rocking his world, if you know what I mean ;)

Don't worry too much about the catfish. It is pretty big and solid so has a decent reserve of fat to keep it going for a while. They are also nocturnal so try feeding him 30-60 minutes after lights out.

Monitor the water quality for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, for the next few weeks to make sure the filter is working ok. If you get any ammonia or nitrite readings above 0ppm, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm, do a big water change every day until the level is back to 0ppm

If you want to go saltwater, the tank you have with the sump would make an ideal set up for fish or corals.

Most sumps make a bit of gurgling noise. You can put a coverglass or piece of Perspex on top of the sump to reduce the noise and to reduce the humidity in the cabinet.

If I ever attempt SW, Iā€™ll start off small like the owner suggested. Wish I had asked her what small means.
The smallest marine tank for a community tank is about 3 foot long x 18 inches wide x 18 inches high.

You can do smaller (nano) tanks that are 18 inch cubes, or 2ft long x 12-18 inches high x 12 inches wide and these are ok for a couple of small peaceful fish and some corals if you want corals. But generally the bigger the tank, the more stable the conditions and more variety of things you can have in it.

I have no experience about keeping fish in wrong water parameters. I know many on here say it's bad and I understand why, so I'm inclined to agree. If your water is sorta medium you may be getting away with it - and obviously the lady you got them from seemed to have success.

The correct answer would be for everyone with hard water to either not keep soft water fish or spend lots of cash on RO. The reality is most people don't and most of them get away with it. Including famous successful breeders seen on youtube. Whether that is questionable ethically because it reduces lifespan of fish due to to kidney's overworking is another matter. If you rehome the south americans at your house or elsewhere locally you will have acheived nothing unless you RO is used to dilute you tap water. But hey getting more tanks is an excuse tofish shopping to fill the gaps.

Beautiful tank and fish btw - you must be really pleased with it.

three baby peacock cichlids in 10 G tank are seemingly doing ok. They are hiding under the sponge filter, but the sand shows disturbances & algae wafer nibbled on.

So got any new photos of the whole setup? Where did you place it in the house? In front of the stationary?? I want to upgrade to a 90-125 soon and am constantly debating over where to put it and if that spot can support the weight.

And do you have any new pictures?

No new pics of entire cabinet. Later. Finishing on lower doors damaged during transport & needs to be touched up. getting lousy pics with iPad and need to dig out SLR digital. Also trim piece fell off door. Donā€˜t ever hire me to move anything!

Itā€˜s where I live with in the master bedroom, opposite wall to bike (with iPad rack) & the 40 G and two ten G tanks on built-in shelves next to bike.

Next time, if there is a next time, I will have the pet shop deliver tank and stand, assuming itā€™s a big one.

This one is of course on the stand on the floor. Had to slide ornate Victorian vanity down to end of wall.
it was purchased , fish & all, from a private party who advertised on Craigslist. Bargain price, so maybe Iā€™ll endure the hassle of transport & setup again!

No new pics of entire cabinet. Later. Finishing on lower doors damaged during transport & needs to be touched up. getting lousy pics with iPad and need to dig out SLR digital. Also trim piece fell off door. Donā€˜t ever hire me to move anything!

Itā€˜s where I live with in the master bedroom, opposite wall to bike (with iPad rack) & the 40 G and two ten G tanks on built-in shelves next to bike.

Next time, if there is a next time, I will have the pet shop deliver tank and stand, assuming itā€™s a big one.

This one is of course on the stand on the floor. Had to slide ornate Victorian vanity down to end of wall.
it was purchased , fish & all, from a private party who advertised on Craigslist. Bargain price, so maybe Iā€™ll endure the hassle of transport & setup again!
So on the ground floor? Basement underneath? If so, have you checked for any sagging? I'm probably being paranoid, but I'm deathly afraid that I'll put a large tank in the front room and it'll end up in the basement.

Yes, ground floor of one story brick house, full basement directly below. Has walk out door to yard, kitchen and bathroom & large central area we use as a gym.
Havenā€™t checked for sagging. will mention it to the husband. Itā€˜s his gym that will be flooded in case of a catastrophe.

Havenā€™t checked for sagging. will mention it to the husband. Itā€˜s his gym that will be flooded in case of a catastrophe.
I'd be interested. No where on my first floor has a load bearing wall underneath. And being a finished basement it'd be a lot of work to add one. For the tank I want I'd be looking at over 1,000lbs... I cringe to think what could happen.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back