Mbuna And Guppies

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Will they eat the baby guppies? And would it cause any health issues for the cichlids?

Concern that your keeping guppies and mbuna together, what size is the tank?

Also if you referring to using them as feeder fish, its a big unanimous NO, Mbuna are mostly strictly vegetarian. Feeder fish could seriously harm them

They'll probably eat adult Guppies, never mind babies. Most species are vegetarian but that doesn't stop them trying to eat any potential food you put in the tank.

Mixing Guppies with Mbuna is a non-starter i'm afraid. :no:

No I have too many guppies and am going to start an mbuna. I was wondering if I could get rid of a few that way. From my understanding they are omnivores.

No I have too many guppies and am going to start an mbuna. I was wondering if I could get rid of a few that way. From my understanding they are omnivores.

The majority of Mbuna species are Herbivores, with some Omnivores but no natural Piscavores so feeder fish are a no for Mbuna - you would be better with some of the Carnivore New World cichlids for that. :good:

Grab an oscar he will have no problem throwing down a 1000 of those guppies.

Concern that your keeping guppies and mbuna together, what size is the tank?

Also if you referring to using them as feeder fish, its a big unanimous NO, Mbuna are mostly strictly vegetarian. Feeder fish could seriously harm them
This is not true, and neither is the claim that none are naturally carnivores. One prime example is Metriaclima Crabro, the Bumblebee Cichlid. It makes a habit of picking off parasites from the catfish native to Lake Malawi, who recognize it as a cleaner species. It however also has a opportunistic habit of eating the eggs of those very same catfish, if it gets the chance. The eye-biter variants, who are characterized by a sharp mouth, are built for snatching the fry of other fish from the nooks of rocks, along with any other insects they can get, they are mostly predacious, but if fed well they don't fight more than is normal among the mbuna . I breed with mbuna, and they love proteins as much as they love algae. I feed them tubifex worms as a supplement to cichlid crisps.

This is not true, and neither is the claim that none are naturally carnivores. One prime example is Metriaclima Crabro, the Bumblebee Cichlid. It makes a habit of picking off parasites from the catfish native to Lake Malawi, who recognize it as a cleaner species. It however also has a opportunistic habit of eating the eggs of those very same catfish, if it gets the chance. The eye-biter variants, who are characterized by a sharp mouth, are built for snatching the fry of other fish from the nooks of rocks, along with any other insects they can get, they are mostly predacious, but if fed well they don't fight more than is normal among the mbuna . I breed with mbuna, and they love proteins as much as they love algae. I feed them tubifex worms as a supplement to cichlid crisps.
This thread is 12 years old :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back