• Thread starter Deleted member 107737
  • Start date

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

D

Deleted member 107737

Hi All,

Ive got 8 young platys in a 150Litre tank.

Can someone advise whether this is enough or can i put more in??

Also could i put other types of fish in? Something that is as fast as platys for when feeding ive heard if your they are not as quick they wont get food.

Thanks,

Dave

Your tank is about 1/2-1/3 stocked the moment. I'd add a large centerpiece ( perhaps a gourami or dwarf cichlid ) and a shoal of cories.

The rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per 12 square inches of surface area. (2.5cm to 30cm2)

I don't go by rules generally. Normally I can sense how much is too much :ninja:

TallTree01 said:
I don't go by rules generally. Normally I can sense how much is too much :ninja:
This is very true. Its really down to the fish keepers discretion. When you become fully stocked, your just know.

i only want to buy a couple more fish but like TallTree01 said a couple of centerpiece fish would make me so happy.

Something that will live happily alongside play fish, planted tank, heated to around 24.5C, wont eat assassin snails and will eat fish flakes.

mmmmm im quite open minded with regards fish...... had my young platies in for about 3 weeks and ready to add a couple more.

Just dont want them to eat my young platies they are 2 months old now

SLIM said:
I don't go by rules generally. Normally I can sense how much is too much
ninja.gif
This is very true. Its really down to the fish keepers discretion. When you become fully stocked, your just know.
If you've been keeping fish for a few years and know what you're doing then yes I agree. However if you are just starting out or are so not sure that you have to post on a board asking the question then clearly you're not in a position to "sense" how much is too much and therefore its probably a good idea to follow the universally accepted guidelines.

Hi. Thank you for helping me.

Ok i only have liquid tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate but ive been using the strips for other parameters.

ph looks to be between 6.8-7.2

KH looks to be about 3d

GH looks to be between 8-16d

could i put in just 2 more fish AFRICAN CICHLIDS???? will these go in with young platys and would the water conditions be ok for them??

Well, it would depend on exactly what species you're thinking of; there are loads of different African cichlids!

In general, most of them aren't suitable for community tanks, but a few, like kribensis, are.

I would go for a pair of Kribensis. They'll love your tank! And a shoal of Cory's :) Perhaps Panda Cory's, they would look nice in there. 
Like your tank by the way :)

hi, thanks all for your help.

this post is a bit old now but just to let you guys know, i now have 14 platys in total and im not getting anymore.

if any babys appear then i will donate them to people

yes.gif

Even with the platy's at 14, you could add in a pair of pearl gouramis, or kribs if you're looking for african cichlids. Just don't buy a different species of cichlid on a whim, because the majority of them are semi-aggressive to extremely aggressive, and aren't suited well for community tanks. I'd definitely get a shoal of cories, 6 or more. Being that your tank is well planted, you could also get a pair of rams - bolivian or german rams, or a pair of apistogramma - (Many, many species to pick from, all with fantastic color). Good luck!

Most reactions

Back