Mature Media Needed Urgently, Manchester Area!

tibby25731

Fish Herder
Joined
Jan 13, 2008
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Manchester, England
I am fish-in cycling (not by choice, through my own ignorance :S) and my cycle is taking ages. I am changing the water daily to deal with the ammonia but no sign of nitrites yet. I am starting to worry as i go away for 4 days on 21st March, and if the cycle isn't done by then, I won't be there to check levels.
Is there anyone is the Manchester area who could help me out with some mature media? I'm not entirely sure what i do with it :P but I understand this will help... my current tank is 60 litre, with 12 fish. It has a Tetratec internal filter with a big green sponge in, and space to put other sponges.

Help! Please!
 
OK, a workmate with a long established tank is going to help me, but he has never heard of doing this before and we are both unsure as to what to do. As I have said, I use an internal filter with a sponge in it. My friend also uses sponge in his. How much sponge do I need from him, and what do I do with it? Can I tie it to my sponge with cotton?
 
is the tetratec internal filter like this one http://tetra-fish.co.uk/tetratec/internalfilters.html

if it is just get a piece of mature filter from your friends tank, cut it to the right size so it fits in your filter. replace the sponge from his filter with the sponge removed from yours. make sure the sponge you remove is transported in some water from his tank, do not let it dry off or the bacteria will die. try to transfer it as quickly as possible

i think the maximum you should remove from an established filter is 1/3 of it so make sure you dont remove too much and cause his tank problems.

i think its as easy as that, im sure someone will correct me if i am wrong
 
No, my filter is not this one... It has a large space for filter sponges, it came with a big green filter sponge and a smaller carbon sponge, but I removed the carbon. If I just pop it in I guess it will float to the top? My filter also has a separate space for the heater.
I don't think I can cut a bit of my sponge off, it has like plastic supports in it... Also, he is bringing the sponge to work for me, so there is gonna be like 8 hours before it gets to my tank... is this too long? In which case I need to find someone else to help!
 
you should be able to fit the mature filter where you removed the carbon one from id have thought.

as for the 8 hours im not too sure on that one to be honest
 
can he not put it in some kind of container with a bit of his water? that would mean that its never really out of the water?
 
8hrs is some time as the bacteria dont just need to be transported in some tank water to keep alive but also need flowing water that is airated / oxygenated to as well as a scource of food to feed from ie the fishy poop to stay alive,

i would say that some bacteria will still be alive how much im not sure but at the end of the day you will still have more beneficial bacteria in your filter than you used to or would have, i would tho try to put the matured media in as quick as possible. either by running it home at lunch, friend of family that know what there doing to do it etc etc.
 
OK, so first off your sponge needs to be in contact with his while in your filter for the best colonisation results. That's the bottom line requirement. I don't know the ins and outs of your filter arrangement, but I'm sure you can work that out. Alternatively just putting his sponge piece into one of the spaces will also help as it will tide your tank over until your sponge is cycled.

Or the other way is a full sponge replacement with a piece from his, as stated earlier.

The 8 hours is a definite no-go.... even if you keep it in a bag of tank water I think. The bacteria needs a supply of food otherwise it will die fairly quickly. I once cycled a filter for my sister in my tank, before letting her take it on a 2 hour drive home - this seemed to work OK, but I have heard that this is the limit.

If you can give a model number of your filter we may be able to help more.....

Irf.
 
I'm sure I've heard people here mention that they have successfully shipped mature media, how would they do that? (that must take more than 8 hours)
 
OK, looks like I would be better off asking someone else for help with media then, as I work far away from home, and live far away from my colleague! With that in mind, is there anyone in the Manchester area who can help me out with some mature filter media? I can get to manchester City Centre easily, so if anyone could get there, I could meet them? HELP!
 
is there anyone in the Manchester area who can help me out with some mature filter media? I can get to manchester City Centre easily, so if anyone could get there, I could meet them? HELP!

looking at the pinned topics of people that may be able to help with mature media there is some one called Germ listed who is in the manchester area click

HERE for their profile, if you Pm them they may be able to help you.
 
Where abouts are you?? I am in City Centre and might be able to help

Aaron
 
for transporting media long distances, you can bag the media like you would a fish(1/3 water 2/3 air). for really long trips you need to add an oxygen tab and something that will give off ammonia like a dead fish/shrimp or something
 

Most reactions

Back
Top