Mature Media For Filter

cookiemistress

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, starting a fry tank within the next few days but i need some mature media/sponge for the filter - it's only a small filter so not much needed.
I'd use it from our main tank but it's an undergravel filter and we've just managed to get it planted how we want it and not wanting to disturb everything lifting filter out.
I will of course cover postage.

Ask your LFS for a little mature stuff.

You could also try transferring some gravel from your mature tank or your LFS.  I got a handful of gravel from a LFS tank.  It was probably 15 gallons and crowded tank, so the bacteria must have been rich.  My tank cycled within a week.

Make sure the tank you grab the gravel from, especially if it's your LFS, is clean.  Do not take gravel from a tank that has sick or dead fish.

You shouldn't need to disturb your undergravel, OP; just take a handful of the gravel and put the in the bottom of your fry tank's filter.

You'll need to test often for ammonia and nitrite, and be prepared to do any extra water changes, but if you're just having a few fry in there, you should be fine.

Oh right i always thought it was the sponges in the filter that held the good bacteria but if the gravel should do then i'll pick some small pieces out and pop them in tomorrow, got a full liquid testing kit on it's way to me :D
Thanks for your help everyone

Most reactions

Back