Mature Filter

bllackpython

Reaction score
Hi There!

I wonder if anyone can help. I have recently convinced my step mum to give fish another go (Previously she failed and they all died, etc).

I currently have 2 fish tanks, both cycled and neither one has has a problem in quite some time. I would like to help her out by giving her some media from my tank but I'm not really sure what this means(sorry for being dull!).

Would I just take one of the filter sponges and add it to her filter? If so how do I transport it, does it matter it being out of water?
Again sorry if it is a stupid question but I don't want to do something silly!

Thanks in advance! :)

It depends on how far away from you she is. It could probably last 5-10 minutes out of water but it would be better to put it in some tank water and immediately transport it to her tank.
A filter sponge would be great to add.
Make sure she does a fishless cycle. Adding the filter media will speed it up lots (depending on size of tank).

yes just take some of your media - keep some for your fishes though so you might have to cut the sponge if there is just one. Transport it in a bucket or something so that it is covered with tank water - dont use water from tap.

make sure the new tank has had its water dechlorinated - a few drops of tap water conditioner - before you use your filter media there.

Awesome!

Thank you both :)
It's about 30 mins away so I will transport in some on the tanks water, maybe in a container or I might even have one of those bags from buying fish.
She's only got a small tank (75l I think) and I have 2 sponges in my filter so I will give her one.

Also I've printed out the instruction for fishless cycling so I will make sure she doesn't make the same mistakes as last time :D
Thanks again, you were really helpful :)

Please note that when seeding with bacteria, as you are doing, that the cycling instructions recommend reducing the time between testing. that is because the seeding should accelerate the process.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back