tonyxjr said:
Hi all
my name is tony
im new and woz just wondering if a 4ft 18in ,18in tank
will be ok for fish and reef aswell
many thanks tony
p.s im in redditch in the uk
Hi Tony

You tank has a volume of 56.06 gallons (UK). Thats 254.85 ltrs and a weight (before displacement) of 561.86lbs (254.85 kilos)

Thata a nice size tank to begin with. I started out with a 40 gallon tank and it was great fun as a starter tank. At the moment its just been emptied but i will soon be restarting it back up ... not sure what i want to do with it though.. probably us eit for softies :D

Navarre

p.s. Im from the UK also

maybe i had to much time on my hands but i started with a 10 gallon tank as ive never herd of a nano tank before, it was a little hard to start with and cost loads more than my bigger tank in salt mix and RO but i got the hang of it and my fish and polyps thrieved now i have my big take i can see that it was alot harder than than i thought it was so unless your a pro GO BIG as all the girls say big is best. B)

Hi all!

I am planning to start a marine tank. I have been recommended to start with a US 60 gallon tank. The dimensions are: 48 L X 15 W X 18 H. From what I've read on here, it seems that the tank will be a good starter tank! I am very excited to get started, but I know patience is key when doing this. I also have an option to buy a used 55 gallon tank that has many of the accessories needed to run a marine tank. The cost of the 55 gallon tank is 500 dollars and includes all accessories (power head, protein skimmer, Fluval filter sys, 10,000w & 30,000w lights, shell & coral, etc...)

Should I start from scratch with the 60 gallon tank or use the accessorised 55 gallon tank? I have not read much about the 55 gallon tank size on this site and it seems that 60 gallons are prefered. Also, I have no dimensions on the 55 gallon tank.

Thank you for any help!

CANYOUBELIEVEIT?!?!?!?!?!

My friend has a small hexagonal. about 12 imp gallons i think. Does the job nicely. Just to to make sure that al the equipment will fit ok.

Nano usually refers to something very small as a 'nanometre' in the metric system is 1x10^-9 metres.

My first saltwater tank was a 5.5 gallon. :)

... But I was lucky to have a very experienced friend to answer all my crazy questions and help me with it. :) When I moved back in March, I switched to a 10 gallon, and I'm much happier with it.

I'm dying to do a BIG reef now though.

I am thinking of setting up a marine tank in my 99cm x 38cm x 46 cm AquaOne 980 tank,173 litres/38 Gallons.

Any info would be appreciated to start me off, btw would this tank be big enough?

sorry missed these posts.. :*)

would probably be easier to posts the last 2 questions as a seperate thread but in essence you both could run marine setups with teh tank sizes you have given.

Important factors for marines are as follows...

Filtration.. usually loads of liverock, expensive but well worth it. 1kg per 2 gallons or 1lb per gallon is a basic rule of thumb. If you can increase this further then this is preferred.

Circulation.. rule of thumb is 10x the tank volume turnover per hour as a minimum. Depending on hte types of corals you want to keep (assuming its a reef setup) i would aim for 20x turnover if possible.

with these 2 factors taken care of you will find the rest falls into place fairly easily.

skimmer? useful but you can get away without one if you run a Mineral mud system. lighting.. again important if you wish to keep corals. I would advise the purchase of halides at the very start if you can possibly afford it. The reason for this is because i have seen so many times in the past, people who purchase weaker lights with the statement that they dont want ot keep any demanding corals. Unfortunately they dont realise how adictive this hobby is and they soon warm to the challenge of more demanding corals. this means a new outlay on more expensive lights.

Lastly and probably most important...
Research and patience. nothing can compansate for researching the hobby in as great deail as possible. Never rush your project and take each step of this hobby little by little. Slowly, slowly does it and this hobby will reward you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back